Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
96382098

I have a husky-mixed about 5 yrs old we a good size yard and

Customer Question

I have a husky-mixed about 5 yrs old we a good size yard and we take him with us to store and walks etc.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: The problem is he runs off. If we leave front door open or the gate he takes off. If we see down the road just taking off and call him he stops looks at us then continues. He eventually comes back but not for a least an hour. We live down the street from the kennel and he has received 3 tickets so far.
JA: What is the dog training's name?
Customer: Odtis
JA: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Odtis?
Customer: yes
JA: What else should I tell the Dog Trainer?
Customer: We had another dog named Freeway that's is his mother she was a rescue dog from AZ she was a great guard dog and mother. She recently died of cancer and I had to put her down. Now she never left the yard and only would come in the house when invited. He picked up everything else she taught and by watching her why does he run off and how canwe stop it. We are not hitting owners cause just our tone will correct things usually but not this running
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** and i can offer some advice.

so odtis has got three tickets so far? - bad dog:)

Have you had him his whole life?

It does not look like you are here but I will give you some ideas.

You guys are in an emergency.

I have worked emergency medicine for eight years and I would take care of at least 2 hit by cars cases a week. Its devastating.

Next time he gets out you can try this. Collapse in the street and yell his name. Some dogs are curious enough to come back and see if you are ok. If he does not come check on you, put him up for adoption (kidding!!)

We cant reply on his mommas behavior to help him anymore. He is his own dog.

Start with re- training basic obedience. Sit. Stay. Down. Paw. All of the basics have to be perfect before something as advanced as coming when called.

Huskys have too much energy. They are meant to pull sleds across long lengths of land. So we got to work him out more. Dog park? Agility? This is what his mind and body need to be happy.

How about an Invisible fence? The cost of this is better then the cost of repairing a broken femur. At least you could have this while you are training.

You guys have a tough problem that will take a lot of work to fix. There is not a simple solution.

Summary:

• Go back to basic training and make sure you have it nailed down before advancing. (using positive reinforcement)
  • burn his steam off
  • invisible fence

This is meant to get you started on the right path. It wont fix all his problems.

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.