Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years
53976849

I have one dog, six y o flat coated retriever, and would

Customer Question

I have one dog, six y o flat coated retriever, and would like a puppy, but am worried about my dog. Will this be traumatic to him as he is quite spoiled. I am also 75 years old and full of life and energy.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and am happy to assist you both today!

I think this is a great question, as an owner of four very spoiled dogs it can be a great way to increase McDuffy's play and interaction with another dog and just like having more than one kid dividing your time but ensuring that he is still getting his individual time and attention is key.

Often what we see is the puppy takes the front seat and the older dog is not given the same attention and there inlays the problem but when you focus on continued walks with your adult dog, play time away from the puppy and individual time to give attention then it can be a wonderful thing to add a new dog into the family.

As I said, I have found a way to divide my time into four dogs and I wasn't sure how it was going to go but wanted another large dog for my 8 year old dog and it really has worked out well. My adult dog now has another large dog to play with but also still gets her time with me (she comes to work with me)

I hope this is helpful but please let me know any additional questions I can assist with tonight. Good luck to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Hi Margaret Reusser,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mcduffy. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman