Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

How can help my dog stop pooping on the floor. She is so

Customer Question
How can help my dog...
How can help my dog stop pooping on the floor. She is so jealous of others. It out hand so sad.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/25/2016
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What breed is your girl?

How old is she?

Does she poop in the same area all the time?

Is it carpet, wood or some other material?

How many other dogs do you have?

Are you mentioning her jealousy as a possible cause of her eliminating on the floor?

Do you ever catch her in the act?

What do you do when you find it?

What do you do if you catch her in the act?

Where do the other dogs go if you have others?

If you have others, how do you know it is just her?

What have you tried so far?

Does she urinate inside as well?

hi JaCustomer,

I was hoping to get a response back so my answer could be specialized for your dog's specific answer, but I also don't want you going for too long without having an answer.

I recommend crate training as the best way of house training your dog. Below you will find the way I crate train dogs, which has worked consistently for 15 years. If you have other dogs you will need to separate them when taking them out to go to the bathroom, as they will want to play rather than potty.

I would also always take your dog outside on a leash. An unleashed dog can run into the street and get hit by a car, or get into a fight with another dog and be seriously injured. Do this even if you have a fenced yard. No playing with your puppy during potty time either.

During crate training, you will be having your dog confined either in a crate or confined to a very small area which optimally will only allow the dog room to lay down in. Dogs will generally not soil an area where they sleep.

When you feed or give your dog water, take the dog immediately outside to go to the bathroom. Also take the dog out first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times and when they wake up after a nap. Take your dog to an area where you want your dog to go and preferably one that has been used previously. Allow your dog approximately 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom. If your dog doesn't produce, take your dog inside and cage them again. If your dog does produce results allow her some uncrated time as a reward before crating or containing the dog again.

If your dog didn't go to the bathroom, take your dog out again about 30 minutes later and repeat this until your dog goes. Praise your dog profusely when your dog succeeds and is on the leash. This will teach your dog that it needs to go when you take your dog out and not play around first.

Some dogs learn quicker than others do, but once you have your dog going when it is on the leash and each time you take your dog out, you should be able to stop containing your dog. It is a lot of work, but pays off in the long run. Remember no playing or praise until your dog succeeds in going outside on a leash.

The key is no time outside of the crate unless you can have your eye on them constantly to pick them up and take them out if you see the classic sign of impending bowel movement or urination. Also, scolding a dog for going in the house does no good unless you catch them in the act. If you do catch them, a firm NO and trip outside should be done. Remember to clean any area inside they have gone with a good pet deodorizing cleaner. It must be enzymatic or it won't remove the smell and the smell with draw your dog back to the spot to eliminate the next time. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see if you have had time to read the answer I supplied for your question. I hope yo take the opportunity to do so soon.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist