Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

We got a rescue dog, shitsu-yorkie cross, aprx 3 years old..

Customer Question
we have had her for...
We got a rescue dog, shitsu-yorkie cross, aprx 3 years old.. we have had her for a year and cannot seem to get her trained from peeing on carpet when we are gone. We have rubbed her nose in it and spanked her with a paper and put her out the doggie door. We have a doggie door which goes into a kennel outside.. what do we do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/21/2016
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The methods you describe have been proven to not work very well for house training. When you punish her, she has no idea why you are mad at her. The only time you can reprimand her for eliminating inside is if you catch them in the act.

The important thing to remember is that you have to clean any place she has eliminated with a good enzymatic pet odor cleanser. If you use regular cleaners, it only fools your nose. The dog can still smell it and returns to the same general are to eliminate again.

The best way to house train as dog is create training. Below you will find the way I crate train dogs, which has worked consistently for 15 years. If you have other dogs you will need to separate them when taking them out to go to the bathroom, as they will want to play rather than potty.

I would also always take your dog outside on a leash. An unleashed dog can run into the street and get hit by a car, or get into a fight with another dog and be seriously injured. Do this even if you have a fenced yard. No playing with your puppy during potty time either.

During crate training, you will be having your dog confined either in a crate or confined to a very small area which optimally will only allow the dog room to lay down in. Dogs will generally not soil an area where they sleep.

When you feed or give your dog water, take the dog immediately outside to go to the bathroom. Also take the dog out first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times and when they wake up after a nap. Take your dog to an area where you want your dog to go and preferably one that has been used previously. Allow your dog approximately 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom. If your dog doesn't produce, take your dog inside and cage them again. If your dog does produce results allow her some uncrated time as a reward before crating or containing the dog again.

If your dog didn't go to the bathroom, take your dog out again about 30 minutes later and repeat this until your dog goes. Praise your dog profusely when your dog succeeds and is on the leash. This will teach your dog that it needs to go when you take your dog out and not play around first.

Some dogs learn quicker than others do, but once you have your dog going when it is on the leash and each time you take your dog out, you should be able to stop containing your dog. It is a lot of work, but pays off in the long run. Remember no playing or praise until your dog succeeds in going outside on a leash.

The key is no time outside of the crate unless you can have your eye on them constantly to pick them up and take them out if you see the classic sign of impending bowel movement or urination. Also, scolding a dog for going in the house does no good unless you catch them in the act. If you do catch them, a firm NO and trip outside should be done. Remember to clean any area inside they have gone with a good pet deodorizing cleaner. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out.

Walking her several times a day will also help house train her especially if you walk her at the same times everyday. She'll remember when those times are and possibly wait until then to eliminate.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist