Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

My dog a siberian husky pulled her groin about a week and a

Customer Question
half ago chasing a squirrel...
My dog a siberian husky pulled her groin about a week and a half ago chasing a squirrel. We've been giving her anti inflammatory meds and pain killers according to our vet. The problem is she will not go outside unless someone takes her for a walk so she can do her business. When my son and my daughter start to bring her home she attacks their backs and scratches the heck out of them. Any solutions on why she's behaving this way
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
10/5/2016
Dog Trainer: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago
Jennifer Van Noy

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about

I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. I look forward to working with you and helping your Husky today.

In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information.

What is her name and how old is she?

What medications is she on?

Is she still sore from the pulled muscle?

Is the not wanting to walk outside new? How old are the children walking her?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her name is ***** ***** She is 4 and 1/2 years old. shes on metacam and gabapentin. only when she moves it a certain way , she will yelp a little and favorite it a little bit then will go back to noramal. there is a little bit of lameness in the leg when she is being walked. as of recently its been hard to get her to go on walk since she wont go in the backyard anymore. and she always wants to go on walks. my son is 25 and my daughter is 22
Dog Trainer: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm on a client phone call and will reply to you as soon as I'm finished.

Dr. Jenn

Dog Trainer: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi, I'm sorry for the delay. I'm writing a response now.

Dog Trainer: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

I love her name!!

Would you say her pain is improving?

Was making sure your children weren't young- sometimes we'll see some behavioral issues with kids, that we dont' see with adults, but that isn't the case here.

Is she willing to go out the front of the house vs out through the backyard? Does that make a difference?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
one day it looks like its improving then the next she'll yelp again. but overall i say shes getting a little better. she doesnt seem to favor the leg as much. shes eating normally, doing her business normally. she gets around the house just fine. anytime they try to get her to go on a walk she runs away from them inside the house. its become a chore just to get her to go on a walk and its never been like that. it really doesnt make a difference if its the back or the front
Dog Trainer: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

From dogs I've seen with similar issues, it could be since she's still painful part of the time, she associates going outside with more moving, hence --more discomfort. Metacam and gabapentin are great choices for pain control in dogs. If she's still yelping 1.5 weeks after the injury and on those two medications, I'm concerned there is something more serious going on. Before we start talking about potential behavioral issues, it sounds like a recheck examination is in order. Did they end up taking x-rays at the first visit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they took x-rays the 2nd visit which was 4 days after the 1st. they also did blood work
Dog Trainer: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

Okay. I'm guessing they didn't see anything at that time, is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is correct.
Dog Trainer: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

On occasion, I'll have a case that isn't improving and I'll end up repeating x-rays. Sometimes things don't initially show up, then given some time, we can see them (I had a case of this in an older Husky just yesterday). In Jelly Bean's case- she could truly be painful and that may be causing her to not want to go outside. Once pain is ruled out, I typically start to think about things like anxiety or a bad experience somehow and Huskies can be pretty strong willed when they want to be (as I'm sure you know!). Typically, for a strain/sprain, I like to see 100% improvement while on medication within a week. Jelly Bean is past that. If I were seeing her, I'd want to address any pain issues first and see if the behavior resolves. If it doesn't resolve, then I'd start discussing behavior issues. I'd recommend setting up a recheck appointment with her vet to make sure she/he doesn't find anything new on exam. I'd love an update and I'm happy to continue the discussion once her pain is improved. I'm also happy to continue to try to help now in any way I can. I always work on controlling pain first and if pain isn't controlled, figuring out why that is.

I'm going to be stepping away from my computer for a bit. If you send a response, I'll reply when I return.

I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I’ve provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you’ve rated my response. I’ll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I’ve provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I’ve done my best to provide you the most accurate, thorough, and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.

Dog Trainer: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jennifer Van Noy
Jennifer Van Noy
Jennifer Van Noy
Jennifer Van Noy