Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

She is a rescue dog with severe separation anxiety and i

Customer Question

She is a rescue dog with severe separation anxiety and i believe she was abused. She gets very depressed/scared when I leave and then pees in the house.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She is about 7-8, spayed, but other than that I don't know much history
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has any kennel training been done with this pup?

Have any meds for anxiety been tried?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Kennel training yes, for the past 2 months. The only time she pees in her kennel is at night and that is very uncommon. When we leave her in the house for five minutes, for instance when we just work in the garage, she will owe on the run in front t of the garage door. She only ever owes on tugs. Never on the hardwoods or tile.
No medications yet.

Is she kept in her kennel when you leave the house?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unless it's a short amount of time. Generally under 15 minutes or so.

Two steps to take in your case would be to not only have a urinalysis performed to rule out the risk of a urinary complication but also to talk to your veterinarian about placing her on a short-term trial of behavioral meds if you believe this to be due to anxiety. It may be too soon at only 2 months to have a dependable amount of information on whether or not she's having issues with the kennel training, but at 7-8 years of age there should be no reason she cannot hold her urine in a kennel setting. An exclusion would be in the case of a urinary concern like a tumor, infection, crystals, etc.

The behavioral meds can take the edge off of her anxiety keeping her from performing some of the habits we see so common in anxiety animals, including inappropriate urination.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800