Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 7yr. old Chihuahua. When we first got him from a

Customer Question

I have a 7yr. old Chihuahua. When we first got him from a shelter, he was going outside to relieve himself. around 3 mos. ago, he started refusing to outside unless we pick him up carry him outside. He must be going in the house, but we can't find where he's going. How do I get him to go outside again?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. If you truly suspect that he is going inside the house then the only way to (retrain) a dog is to crate train him like you would a puppy. Also when he goes out to the bathroom make sure you are always with him. This is very important. If you were letting him out and you were not with him then that might be why he does not want to go out especially if something outside spooked him. Do not fuss at him at all if you see him going in the house but you need to start the crate training immediately. All dogs should be initially crate trained as this is the most effective way to train a dog.

If you do not want to go through retraining him then he will have to wear doggie diapers all the time. That is your other option. You can get disposable ones and also washable. I hope that helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Beth, please let me know if you need additional assistance. I am happy to answer or help with any follow up you need.

Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi Beth,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chico. How is everything going?

Dr B