Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

I have a 15 yo shepherd mix with whom I have always had

Customer Question
trouble muzzling, which she needs...
I have a 15 yo shepherd mix with whom I have always had trouble muzzling, which she needs for most every procedure. Now she has an ear infection, and I need to get in there 3x a day for clean out and put in drops. Any secrets to doing this and coming away with all of my fingers
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
8/22/2016
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It can be difficult to teach a dog to accept the muzzle when the only time it is used is when you are either taking the dog somewhere they don't want to go or causing the dog pain. Dogs learn quickly to anticipate what is going to happen when the muzzle is put on. It can be hard now to do much since you HAVE to use it for treating the ears which are quite painful. Now the gauze loop is probably much the same as an emergency muzzle but I'll give you the link to how to do a muzzle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8CwNyfaU3g

Now your dog might be better with a basket style muzzle. They don't constrict the muzzle of your dog and are more comfortable. See one here:

http://www.rayallen.com/muzzles?gclid=CIrQucqx1c4CFYlkhgodxksAqw

The main thing is to stop the dogs association of pain with the muzzle. The way you can do this is to work with the dog on putting the muzzle on. The following site has a great video on how to accomplish this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FABgZTFvHo

Now some people will use a towel or other head covering to help block the dog's eyes and treat the ears that away. Other owners will use a sling to lift the dog up off the ground to help prevent the twisting and movement and might help. Start training her to the muzzle and put it on and off multiple times a day giving great high value treats like hot dog slivers or raw liver and then take it back off. Let her association with the muzzle start being pleasant instead of just painful.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Just a quick not to see if you received the email letting you know I had supplied you with an answer to your question?

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist