Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

How can I potty train my dog. He does it all over the place

Customer Question

How can I potty train my dog. He does it all over the place in my apartment and tears aways the potty pads if I place it. I have used various sprays to direct him to a specific location but no luck.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

How old is the dog?

When did you get the dog?

Do you want the dog to go potty inside the home?

Where are you placing the potty pads?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. My dog is Pomeranian and around 4.5 month.
2. I got dog in June 1st week 2016
3. I want to keep it flexible. ( I have no problem in using crate which by the way I have bought and haven't used ever)
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. Crating is a good idea for potty training when you are taking the dog outside for potty so that the dog does not go anywhere in the home it wants to. Crating is usually used if you cannot watch the dog. If you can watch the dog then it must never be out of your sight until fully trained or you are setting the pup up to fail. So you can tether the dog to you via a leash so you can keep an eye on it or crate it when you get busy.

At 4 months old the dog should be taken to a potty area every three hours, after eating , after play and after a nap. Puppies are not able to control it so it is very important to keep a schedule during training.

To teach the dog to potty inside you must set up a potty area, not just put pads on the floor. The potty area should be the one you want the pup to use all the time do not keep moving it. you can get a small gate or play pen for dogs one that you can adjust for size and set up. Put the pad in there, for now spread them out under this pen as one pad is too small for both pee and poop. Even when dogs go outside to potty they usually do not pee and poop in the same area so two areas in the pen is vital and by covering the floor you have offered a space large enough. This is where you want to take the dog at the times discussed above. Give a potty command, such as go potty and continue to give this even as the dog is eliminating, when done praise and reward the dog. The reward must be something very tasty and memorable , something the dog will only get at this time. This makes going there repeatedly worth it for the dog.

You would train the same way outside when you want the dog to go outside, only without the pen, just pick an area. The dog should try to go potty each time you give the command when outside in the future

here is an example of the top of pen I am talking about , they have them in different sizes

https://www.chewy.com/b/dog-288?query=dog+pens&gclid=Cj0KEQjw57W9BRDM9_a-2vWJ68EBEiQAwPNFK_PtDqXQ6a1T5WpLOy1KPADStfCfIOLUxTSd1LakZCwaAi4m8P8HAQ