Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

We have a Cavalier Spaniel who is 3 years old. Generally

Customer Question

We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who is 3 years old. Generally sweet and loving and never in a fight with other dogs. However, when he sees another dog on a leash, he becomes absolutely wild by lunging, barking, whining and growling. He cannot be reasoned with when like this and doesn't seem to be in there at all. When he does get loose, he charges at the dog and then wants to make friends. The problem is that it is disconcerting to the dog, his owner and ourselves. WE cannot continue like this but would hate to put an otherwise perfect dog down.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I know this is very disconcerting but it is a normal behavior for some dogs, especially on a leash. There are many ways of handling this but you will have to do some work and socializing with other dogs.

1. Purchase a DAP Collar (Dog Appeasement Pheromone) at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety. Rescue Remedy is also helpful.
2. Carry a coke can with pennies in it and when you see this aggression starting, shake the can loudly and say a strong NO!
3. Put your guy and the other dog together while being supervised to let them know that this behavior is not needed.
4. have your vet examine your guy checking for a medical cause such as hormonal issues or metabolic problems that could cause this. If this is ruled out, ask your vet for an anti anxiety medication such as Clomicalm or Reconcile that will decrease the anxiety that is causing this.
5. Consider contacting a veterinary behaviorist that can help your guy past this. This LINK will find one near you.
6. Take your guy back to a good obedience class so you will have better control over him.

This can pass with some work and the medications are very useful to decrease your guys anxiety in these situations.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****