Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

6 month old golden puppy.. Spayed 1 month ago. Mouthing..

Customer Question
Jumping everywhere ... Afraid she...
6 month old golden puppy.. Spayed 1 month ago. Mouthing.. Jumping everywhere ... Afraid she will jump in oven if I open it.. Jumps on counters steals food paper etc... Help!!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
5/30/2016
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 1 year ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

What type of training are you doing with the dog? How often do you train?

What have you done so far?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Puppy training at pet smart .. Does well with that. When we are home and my husband or family members come into the house .. She jumps up constantly and bites our clothes or hands and feet. We tell her to sit .. She does .. But immediately starts again. We tell her off in a loud voice and continue to do so .. But she is not listening
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She does it mostly with me.. I can sometimes calm her down when I pick her up and put her beside me on the couch.. Holding her.. Petting her and telling her to settle. My 89 yr. old mother lives with me and I am afraid she will knock her down.

She is still very young to know how to keep a command so do not expect that at this time. I would not expect a puppy to keep a command until nearly a year in an environment that is interesting to it. Company would be interesting to a puppy. Expecting the dog to stay in a sit for any length of time is reaching for a miracle. Even my service dogs cannot do that and they are trained daily.

When you want her to stop jumping , give the off command m providing she knows that and have handy something handy that will keep her busy enough to then respect the off. I find that pups that are bored are most in trouble. Provide the puppy with mind stimulating toys such as puzzles , Kongs, treat dispensing balls so the dog has to use its mind. When they use the mind they tire easier. Also once the dog is off of you and you give it a frozen kong stuffed with yogurt it will keep them occupied and it will be the reward for getting off of you. So, Fido =Off= down- Kong. this way you are telling the dog many things, you want the dog to off of you, then to down and for doing the down instead of jumping there is a reward at the end.

Most of the puzzles and treat dispensing balls can be filled with the dogs daily kibble so they are constantly learning to work for their food, then they are likely to work for you when asked.

As humans we tell the dogs what we don't want them to do but rarely back it up with something they can do instead that is just as interesting and will earn them a reward.

You did not mention what type of training you do at pet smart but I would do clicker training at home and I would train several times a day in short sessions. Dogs do not carry over what they learn in one place to the next place so she needs to be taught everyplace you intend on taking her.

Also get a good leave it command in place so when you see she is about to do something or get something you don't want her to you give that command and she should stop in her tracks and put her attention back onto you.

At this point for your mom's safety you may want to set the dog up

in an area she cannot get to your mom and knock her over.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your input. We just came back from our walk . She really walks well on a leash.. She bucks at first for a few seconds then we are out about 30 to 45 min.

once a routine is put in a place and there are familiar patterns that the dog learns in those places then then tend to listen better. Generally a new situation will elicit a new or unwanted behavior only because a dog is not sure how to react and the excitment gets the better of them.

Also what plays a part is how the people greeting the dog are handling it. IF they ignore the dog and let you give the dog a command such as sit, then they pet it and walk away it will learn that it only gets a pet when it is sitting. The key is to be in control of both dog and human interactions.

As for counter surfing there is a product called scat mat you can lay on the floor in front of the counter or there are motions sensor devices to put on the counter that will emit a sound if the dog jumps up and that usually is enough to stop a dog from continuing. This can be used if you are not there to catch him in the act to redirect his attention to something better to do:)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist