Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

My girlfriend has a sharpe/pit mix, he is 3. He gives no signs

Customer Question
that he needs to go...
My girlfriend has a sharpe/pit mix, he is 3. He gives no signs that he needs to go out. When i take him out regularly, he stares at me or sits by me. I walk around yard, he wont go. By himself he sits on porch and stares at door. when he is with me we will be outside for hours. But, i only leave him out there alone for about 1/2 hour. He always loves walks and goes both. But, no matter how many walks he goes on, he pees in the house. He never shows any signs that he has to go. I will take him for a walk and if he leaves my sight when we get back, he will pee once in 3-4 rooms. So we dont leave him unattended. I feel like he is a prisoner who just isnt figuring it out. If i get distracted, he pees in several rooms. He is always kenneled when we leave. And we take him out back when he is let out. He will pee, but then if he leaves my sight, he pees in the house. what am i missing? He is obsessed qith my girl and she is the primary person he goes for out of a walk. He syicks to her everywhere, right at her heals. He goes to the bathroom with her and shower because he pees if ledt alone. He has doggie beds up and down stairs. He spends all his time laying around with us becauae we cant walk him all hours of the day. even when he thinks we are not paying attention and sneaks off to pee, i take him out alond/ and with us and he wont go. I've tried taking him out every few hours, no luck. Only when 5 or so hours he will start licking his belly and then finally he will pee. Please help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
5/9/2016
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Hi Jacustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. Does he urinate or defecate in his crate when he is crated?Have you tried anything else?Is he neutered? I do have a few different ideas but it would be nice to have that information first.
I don't want you to have to wait on an answer, so I'll go ahead and give you my thoughts now. I recommend crate training. Below you will find the way I crate train dogs, which has worked consistently for 15 years. If you have other dogs you will need to separate them when taking them out to go to the bathroom, as they will want to play rather than potty. The age of the dog doesn't make much difference though mature dogs learn quicker. I would also always take your dog outside on a leash. An unleashed dog can run into the street and get hit by a car, or get into a fight with another dog and be seriously injured. Do this even if you have a fenced yard. No playing with your dog during potty time either. During crate training, you will be having your dog confined either in a crate or confined to a very small area which optimally will only allow the dog room to lay down in. Dogs will generally not soil an area where they sleep. When you feed or give your dog water, take the dog immediately outside to go to the bathroom. Also take the dog out first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times and when they wake up after a nap. Take your dog to an area where you want your dog to go and preferably one that has been used previously. Allow your dog approximately 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom. If your dog doesn't produce, take your dog inside and cage them again. If your dog does produce results allow her some uncrated time as a reward before crating or containing the dog again. Since he eliminates when out of your sight, leash him to you during this uncrated period so he can not get out of your sight. If your dog didn't go to the bathroom, take your dog out again about 30 minutes later and repeat this until your dog goes. Praise your dog profusely when your dog succeeds and is on the leash. This will teach your dog that it needs to go when you take your dog out and not play around first. You should also go ahead and give a small treat like a hot dog sliver as soon as he starts to eliminate. This will help reinforce that you want him to eliminate outside. Some dogs learn quicker than others do, but once you have your dog going when it is on the leash and each time you take your dog out, you should be able to stop containing your dog. It is a lot of work, but pays off in the long run. Remember no playing or praise until your dog succeeds in going outside on a leash. The key is no time outside of the crate unless you can have your eye on them constantly or leashed to you. Also, scolding a dog for going in the house does no good unless you catch them in the act. If you do catch them, a firm NO and trip outside should be done. Remember to clean any area inside they have gone with a good pet deodorizing cleaner. If you don't use an enzymatic cleaner, the odor remains and will draw the dog back to the spot again to eliminate in the future. So be sure the spots are cleaned well. They make special lights that will show up old spots as well. Also let the cleaner soak in so it gets down anywhere the urine reached such as the padding. Here is a site with more information on crate training.http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that he needs to go out. Many dogs have no idea they can signal you that they need to eliminate. I also want to mention that if you have always gotten upset when you find urine or feces in the house and yelled at your dog, that may make him feel that he can not eliminate in front of you anytime including when you are outside. Another thing you should do is a log. You would be to start feeding and watering him on a schedule. Keep a log of when you feed him and give him water. also keep a log of when he defecates or urinates. Soon you will see a pattern develop as to how long after eating or drinking he eliminates. This will allow you to either be sure he is outside when he needs to eliminate or move his meal time so the time he would need to eliminate is more convenient for you. You also have the option of creating a place indoor that he can use to eliminate. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool since he is larger dog. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform. Seed the area with some urine and feces initially. That may draw him to the area naturally. You can also crate him and take him to that area when you let him out of the crate until he learns to use it. You can also contain him in an area where it only gives him enough room to lay down and turn around and the extra room has the small sod pool in it. That way he has to eliminate where he lays or in the sod patch. Remember to give a treat and praise him when he goes where you want him to. These suggestions should help the situation and usually trying various techniques at the same time have the highest chance of success. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist