Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

I actually have two issues. I have an older pomeranian who

Customer Question
is in heat and wonder...
I actually have two issues. I have an older pomeranian who is in heat and wonder how long her cycle will be. She is 12 yrs. I also have an older male pomeranian that I rescued that I cant seem to prevent him from "marking." Suggestions would be appreciated.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Both these dogs were rescued from MS and have never been neutered or spayed. I have had them for about 6 months now.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/11/2016
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 1 year ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself and the way the site works. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.What have you tried to stop the marking?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I catch in the act, I scold him & put him outside. I then wipe up with mixture if water, vinegar & lavender. Because the marking has significantly increased due to the other dog being in heat I also purchased a type of male dog diaper that fits over the penis in hopes of preventing the marking as well as going after the dog in heat.I also tried using the pet cage but don't want him to view that as a punishment as I use it quite often when I leave the house
Thank you, Punishment of any sort will not work, this is a natural act that was probably brought to the forefront more due to the female. The belly bands do help with marking, but because this is such a natural instinct nothing ever stops the marking. Generally dogs that are not neutered or neutered later in life become markers and it is with them forever. This is not something you can train him out of. The best thing is to keep the dog contained when you cannot watch him so he does not have the chance to mark. You can crate him which is perfectly fine when not able to watch him, or you can gate him off in a room with easy clean up to save your own aggravation. I would use a dog cleaner made specific for dog urine or use just vinegar and water. The lavender may interact with the vinegar and keep bringing him back to those places. You can try putting kibble in the areas he has gone so he views it as an eating place not a peeing place and eventually replace the kibble with a bowl of water.
This is not a behavior that can be retrained like potty training can because the instinct is so deep.
the heat cycle has four stages, generally once the fertile period is over (stage two ,which can last 4 to 10 days, each dog varies then you don't have to worry about her. http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/keeping-your-dog-healthy/reproduction-breeding/the-heat-cycle-of-dogs
neutering a dog can cut the marking down by 50%

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist