Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

OUR 10 MONTH OLD BERNESE MOUNTAIN DOG PUPPY/100 POUNDS AND

Customer Question

OUR 10 MONTH OLD BERNESE MOUNTAIN DOG PUPPY/100 POUNDS AND STRONG AS AN OX. HE LIKES TO BE VERY DOMINATE WITH OUR OLDER MALE WHO IS 7 YEARS OLD. HE IS ALSO A BERNER, 120 POUNDS. HE HAS PUT THE PUP IN HIS PLACE MANY TIMES, BUT THIS BEHAVIOR IS IT NORMAL FOR THE YOUNGER MALE TO DO THIS. WE ALSO HAVE HIM IN FORMAL CLASSES EVERY WEEK. OBEDIANCE, GOOD CANINE CITIZEN AND STARING ON SOME WORK FOR HIS TDI THERAPY DOG CERTIFICATION. WHAT CAN WE DO TO CONTROL HIS BOLDNESS. BOTH MALES ARE INTACKED. WE PLAN ON BREEDING THE YOUNGER PUT AT A LATER DATE TO KEEP THE BLOOD LINE INTACT. THANK YOU, ***** *****
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your Berner's behavior.I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me the following:How far does he go with his behavior? You said he barks and that the older dog puts him in his place. Does this mean they vocalize and work it out with what looks like fighting but no one actually gets hurt, or would blood be shed?I'll look forward to your reply and will respond as quickly as possible.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
In the meantime, I want to let you know the best source I can recommend for addressing these problems is the body of work created by Dr. Sophia Yin. You can access many of her resources (books, videos, etc.) on her website.http://www.drsophiayin.comAmazon also carries most of her books and DVDs. Her methods for coping with this kind of pushy behavior with a puppy are the most likely to be successful.