Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My dog and pees in the house when I leave her here to go to…

Customer Question
My dog poops and...

My dog poops and pees in the house when I leave her here to go to work. Its cold outside, I don't want to leave her out like I do in the summer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

How do I train her to hold it til I get home? She's just over a year old, was a stray, and I got her from humane society. She holds it over night.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
2/26/2016
Dog Trainer: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 years ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Thanks for your question. Can you give me more information?

1) Do you currently use potty pads?
2) Has she been given any formal kennel training?
3) How long have you had her?

No puppy pads. I've had her since last May 2015. Kennel trained? I don't know--I got her from The Humane Society.

Thanks for your reply. I am going to opt out and switch your question over to the training category so the experts there can assist you.

Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi there. I have my own questions to ask you. Does she eliminate inside if you are home or is it only when you are gone? For instance, if she is inside all night long, does she eliminate inside during that time?

If you leave her in the home to go to the store or other short errand, does she eliminate then as well?

What size is she?

Can you guess at a breed?

Do you have a dog kennel or crate for her?

If I am reading this correctly, you haven't really tried any method of house training. Is that correct?

Do you feed her on a schedule or keep food down all the time?

I was hoping to get a response back but I also don't want you to have to wait for an answer.

The fastest way to house train a dog is crate training. I recommend crate training. Below you will find the way I crate train dogs, which has worked consistently for 15 years. If you have other dogs you will need to separate them when taking them out to go to the bathroom, as they will want to play rather than potty. I would also always take your dog outside on a leash. An unleashed dog can run into the street and get hit by a car, or get into a fight with another dog and be seriously injured. Do this even if you have a fenced yard. No playing with your puppy during potty time either. This also allows you to give her a treat if she succeeds outside.

During crate training, you will be having your dog confined either in a crate or confined to a very small area which optimally will only allow the dog room to lay down in. Dogs will generally not soil an area where they sleep. When you feed or give your dog water, take the dog immediately outside to go to the bathroom. Also take the dog out first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times and when they wake up after a nap. Take your dog to an area where you want your dog to go and preferably one that has been used previously. Allow your dog approximately 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom. If your dog doesn't produce, take your dog inside and cage them again. If your dog does produce results allow her some uncrated time as a reward before crating or containing the dog again.

If your dog didn't go to the bathroom, take your dog out again about 30 minutes later and repeat this until your dog goes. Praise your dog profusely when your dog succeeds and is on the leash. This will teach your dog that it needs to go when you take your dog out and not play around first. Some dogs learn quicker than others do, but once you have your dog going when it is on the leash and each time you take your dog out, you should be able to stop containing your dog. It is a lot of work, but pays off in the long run. Remember no playing or praise until your dog succeeds in going outside on a leash.

The key is no time outside of the crate unless you can have your eye on them constantly to pick them up and take them out if you see the classic sign of impending bowel movement or urination. Also, scolding a dog for going in the house does no good unless you catch them in the act. If you do catch them, a firm NO and trip outside should be done. Remember to clean any area inside they have gone with a good enzymatic pet deodorizing cleaner. If you haven't done that, the odor left behind will actually encourage a dog to return to the area again to eliminate again. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out.

Now if it only happens when you are gone, you can use the crate for containing her when you leave. She may have an accident or two but whe will learn that she has to sit in the urine if she does and that helps teach her to hold her bladder. You also have to not put anything in the crate that will absorb the urine or she won't learn the lesson.

It might also be related to separation anxiety if it only happens when you leave. If it is separation anxiety, there are some things to help that as well.

One thing that can help with separation anxiety is a DAP collar. These use a pheromone to calm a dog. They are available in pet stores. See one here:
vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/gr/DAP-Dog-Collar.htm

Practice putting her in the crate, leaving the house, opening the door immediately and rewarding her with a hot dog treat if she did not eliminate . This teaches her that you leave but come back quickly. Once she seems to not do anything when you initially leave for a few minutes, lengthen the time she must be elimination free for you to come back in. Change the time as well. Make it 2 minutes one time and 20 mintues another, so she never knows if you are gone for an hour or gone for 2 minutes. It helps her stay calm for longer periods of time, just be sure you reward her when she is good. With elimination due to separation anxiety, it is the anxiety causing the accidents.

Another thing that helps is to do things that might make the dog feel you are leaving and then don't such as putting on your coat or picking up your keys. Or leave without doing those things. This helps remove things that might trigger the dog to become anxious.

These should help if this is separation anxiety. It will not be an overnight cure and will take work on your and your family’s part to be consistent in your interaction with her. Here is a site that also offers idea to combat separation anxiety.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/overcoming-separation-anxiety.aspx

Another option is medication, which is discussed on this site:

http://www.fidosavvy.com/dog-separation-anxiety-medication.html

Now I do have a few other things that can help with house training. One is feed on a schedule. Keep a log of the time you feed and give water. Then log what times your girl urinates and defecates. You will see a pattern develop after a few days. This allows you a general idea of when your dog will need to go and you can plan on having her outside during that time. If you won't be home during that time, you might be able to change the feeding and watering time to one where you would be home. For instance if she urinates and defecates 20 minutes after eating, you can get up a little early and give her a small meal and wait for her to eliminate before leaving. Then feed and water her when you get home so you will be there for that time as well.

Another option is a sod patch. I like these as they keep a dog eliminating on real grass so they don't get into the habit of going on carpet inside. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform.

When first training to a sod patch, you may want to keep her contained in a small area with the sod patch in their so she doesn't have to travel far to get to the sod patch.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist