Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

How to get a older dog to let a new puppy in the yard. he is…

Customer Question
how to get a older...
how to get a older dog to let a new puppy in the yard. he is aggressive to other dogs and people
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
2/26/2016
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Usually if you want to introduce one dog to another, you do so away from both dog's home. You do so in an area where there is no other dogs. If possible before this meeting away from the home, you would take towels and rub one over the pup and one over the pup, then let the pup sleep with the towel rubbed over the adult dog and let the adult dog have the towel that was rubbed over the pup. This gets each dog used to the others scent. Try and do this a few days before the meeting.

Many adult dogs are find with pups but it helps if the pup is the opposit sex from the adult dog. It also helps stop any dominance aggression as the pup matures. If he accepts the puppy off your property and is not overly aggressive toward the puppy, you can arrange a couple more meetings before allowing them both to go back to the adult dog's territory. In most cases, the adult dog will not be aggressive to the dog when introduced in this matter and then reintroduced at their own home.

If he is still aggressive toward a pup, you can crate the puppy while allowing the adult to sniff and see the pup without being able to get to the pup. I'd do this only after introducing away from home. You can switch the dogs around so each dog is allowed uncrated time and get used to each other bing in the same area.

Ultimately, the best solution would be to correct the adult dogs aggression toward people and dogs. Obedience training can help. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

This helps establish you as the boss and thus YOU decide who is allowed to be in YOUR territiory. The bat method can also help with aggression issues.

http://functionalrewards.com/BAT-basics.pdf
http://www.petexpertise.com/behavior-adjustment-training-dog.html

You might also have your dog checked for a health condition that might cause sudden aggression. Read more on these here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/medical-causes-of-aggression-in-dogs/page1.aspx

. http://www.apdt.com/veterinary/assets/pdf/Dodman_MA10.pdf

You might consider a basket muzzle on the adult dog when you finally allow the dog and puppy to meet in the yard without leashes or containers. It will prevent bites.

In addition, if the situation is not improving using the techniques oI've described, you may have to consult a professional behaviorist. You can usually find a behaviorist by asking your Vet for a recommendation or you may be able to find one using the following site.

http://www.apdt.com.au/trainers-directory/find-a-trainer.html

.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/