Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

This coud take time.. moved 1 dogs byself and other 1 byself

Customer Question

This coud take time.. moved 1 dogs byself and other 1 byself together. Joined in new home to share. #1,= 5 yrs old now, bichion/poodle so told rescured at 18 mos old. Hates men always a barker at noise.. just a protector/excapee artess.
#2 dog, been with cats and other dogs, adopted at 6 mos. Large Llasa Alpso. Now 9 yrs old. Has 2 K eye repair, which is fine now and $6 k leg, from chancing a squirrel or cat.
Moved #1 and #2 together in a home that #1 only had full raine for 1 wk.
All fine for a week or so, #1 peed on #2 bedding, then weeks later in and near #1 bed/cage where owner sleeps, attack #2. Thought well it is over.. keep #2 out of #1
room. However, #1 goes into #2 room and now fights.
# ***** barks at everything, even door bells on TV. Anyone who comes into home, must be
caged or taken to garage. Barks all the while, then calms down.
We, serve food at same time, never a problem in kitchen... we take #1 to bedroom and #2 in kitchen, worked o.k. Then they go outside together in garden no problem.
#1 has attach #2 4 times, very nasty.. What do we do? Bothe nice, #1 is getting vailat.
2/22/16 during prep for food which for 2 mos. just fine, #1 turned around and attack #2 hurt ear etc. No Vet. However, even from passed attackes #2 stays clear as possible for #1. I was injured in first one, got bit on figure, showed me #1 didn't want to stop. 4th occassion in kitchen normally fine, #1 attached #2 for zero reason...i.e normal feeding time. I even have feed them by myself, take one to master room and other in kitchen.
Then, uell outside puppies and both go out just fine in garden. 2/22/16 I picked up #1 and pulled here away from #2, which she had #1 had her #2 ear in mouth. # ***** pulled to the side to find engery. Was brused, however no blood.#1 kept on lead rest of the day.
We just bought a new home to us. Sisters bringing there to sole mates together.
We must find a solution?????? #2 is fine it is #1.......... Yes #2 makes whicker movements if #2 gets to close or runs over her to get out door. #2 is any contractors coming in the best dog they ever met. So, how do we solve this problem, as we must
all live together and not stress my sister or I and #2 and make #1 be not s jeoalus dog.
I must watch if move over sister and or say good night. We do it right so #1 doesn't think I'm hurting owner.
#1 loss of male (husband) in home to nursing home. Always on leach to go pottie, zero yard. Curret move to new home, Accepts male nephew in home. Not others. So when thing to to happen, sister cages her. Has nice garden to run in all the time.
#2 loss of male (husband) passed. Loss of Kitty Cat and tons of area (10 acreas). Traveled down and moved to CA, then lossed female (my mother) stayed there for 2 1/2
years. Went thru sale of home and tons of people etc. No problem. They call her the perfect dog. Stayed in hotels and in on way back. No problems.. We get to Oregon, travel, no problem. She has never peed on a bed prior. However sister thinks she did
cause she lock her in room. i DON'T THINK SO... it was to soaked thru for the time we
found it.
I think #1 who each grass and throws up alot, like bile mostly and some food lately, might have a health problem! As all was fine now, #1 is so weird. 3 days ago she thru up all over the bed for 2 hours. Next day Sister thought #2 wet on bed? I can't believe that. #2 lasts 14 hours sometimes and has never pedd in house.
Now that I start to put together, #1 might be ill. throwing up, wet bed might not be #2 fault. As #2 has never ever done that. Also # ***** eats grass and then throws up. outside.
I'm thinking #1 MIGHT BE VERY SICK. Might be causing her weird attacks? I had a Biecon that was thin and got sick alot, he died of cancer of the stomach. Opened up and sewen back for burial.
So,,,,,,,,,like me to tell you what you think... I think #1 has a problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,health wise, if not a socail problem. Need advise ... sister and I need to now, plus # ***** dog scared from #1.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Thank you for all that information. It is very helpful about the only questions I still need to know are if either dog has had obedience training at all and what you may have tried to try and stop the problem?

Also need to know when their last check up was?

Hi JaCustomer,

How and wht are you using tp clean up the urine?

Ok. I want to give you my thoughts on your situation given the facts you have already given me so you won't have to wait on an answer.

Dogs are pack animals and there is a boss and followers. What you have is two dogs who have been the only dogs in their respective households for at least some period of time. One dog (1) does not seem to have been socialized much while the other (2) seems to have been socialized around other animals and possibly people as well and house trained too.

When you bring too dogs who have been used to being the boss dog in their household together, you are going to have some adjustments since both dogs are used to being the boss. Since 1 was there first, her smell was over the whole house and since she was there first, 1 believes that she is indeed the boss of the house. The fact that she was not socialized before means she may not know how to be the alpha dog or feels the need to constantly remind dog 2 that she is the boss.

One way a dog will show they are the boss is to mark around what they believe is their territory. Thus she would urinate in various places around the house to claim the area. She might also urinate on the other dog's bedding to show that dog that she owns everything which isome alpha dogs might do to show another dog they are boss. The attacks are likely #1 dog's attempts to make #2 submit to her. Alpha dogs feel they own everything and it is their right to get respect from other dogs in the household. They feel they should eat first, get affection first, get treats first and even go outside first. Since the dogs are owned by different people, each person is going to be treating their dog special such as giving affection to their dog and treats to thei dog and each dog has their own toys.

The alpha dog (1) won't see it that way. To her, only she should get attention first and treats first. Since she really can't attack the owner, she redirects that aggression toward the other dog so the dog realizes that they shouldn't be accepting the affection or treat until the alpha dog lets them.

Many experts recommend letting the dogs sort the situation out which they will with time, and if there is no serious bloodshed is not such a bad idea since eventually they should settle down when the less dominant dog submits totally. However, with the first dog not having been socialized, she might not realize that she doesn't have to reprimand #2 dog all the time so it might take longer.

Let's discuss possible solutions to the problem now. The first thing is to clean thoroughly to get rid of the urine odor. Use an enzymatic pet odor cleanser to thoroughly clean the areas either dog has urinated. Allow it to soak in thoroughly to reach anywhere the urine did to break up the protein and remove the odor. It may not smell to you, but dog's have better noses and if an enzymatic cleaner was not used, there is still an odor there and that will draw a dog back to the spot to urinate again.

The next step is obedience training for #1. She has to know that the humans are the boss and not her. So far it seems she has been pretty much allowed to do what she wanted. Obedience training will help teach her commands but also that the humans are the boss and she needs to obey them. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

If she sees the people as the boss she won't be as inclined to protect the house from visitors either s it will be the human's job to do that. You can also train her to sit and stay when visitors come to the door. When first teaching her to sit at the door when visitors come, you can slip the leash under your foot, have her sit and use the leash to keep her in that spot in a sit or down position as you open the door. Initially she will fight it, but soon will realize it doesn't do any good to try and move away and will stay. When she does that reward her with a tasty hot dog sliver treat. Have visitors reward her as well. This helps her see that visitors are not bad people as well. It will help socialize her.

You may also want to have her go to a group training class for the socialization with the other owners and dogs. I'd get some training done at home first so it is more a socialization session and obedience with distraction training.

Now the barking is also something that requires training. As crazy as this sounds you may wish to teach the dog the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.

http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

You also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar or shock bark collars that will stop excessive barking. It is definitely the fast quick way of solving a barking issue and is effective. I personally believe in training unless the problem is happening when no one is around the dog to give direction.

Now the dog might also have a medical issue such as hypothryoidism, so a thyroid panel needs to be run to be sure. Hypothyroidism can cause excessive aggression. Once that is ruled out and I think it is more likely behavioral, then you will know that the training is necessary.

You will want to train both dogs but focus on the aggressor which is the number 1 dog. Additional training can also help. Both dogs should be leashed and if one dog even looks at the other dog, a correction should be done. Any sign of aggression including a prolonged look, hair raised on the shoulders, a growl or even a stiff legged walk, should be corrected. A correction is a quick tug of the leash and a firm low toned "NO". Once you have done this a couple of times, you should notice the dogs ignoring each other. When that happens, you will want to reward them for the desired behavior. Again, use tasty treats like the hot dog slices. This teaches the dogs that you WILL not tolerate fighting in YOUR pack.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Hi Terri,

Just checking to see if you are having problems viewing the answer.