Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

Rylee, 115 pound Korean meat market dog is terrified. She

Customer Question
has PTSD. Our new to...
Rylee, 115 pound Korean meat market dog is terrified. She has PTSD. Our new to the field vet said just give her time to quiet. Give me break!
Help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
2/22/2016
Dog Trainer: Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician replied 1 year ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....

How long have you had Rylee now?

Can you describe an average day with her?

Is she crate trained?

Does she get exercise?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
10 weeks
She fears leaving my side.
If I must go someplace, we try to lock her in to ensure she doesn't run searching for me.
I take her to our property below with our short, fat mastiff. Rylee is a tall, thin Korean mastiff. They run, they search for whatever their noses find. I keep her out 45 to 90 minutes. With our heavy, cold rain, I'm a bit limited at this time in our walks. I try taking her two to three times for our long romps.
Butch, my husband, has begun to walk with us. He is unable to stay in the cold as long as I. When B walks down our inside stairs, she panics.
She has managed on four separate occasions to escape our enclosed compound area. She runs in total fear when this happens. Butch has been able to touch her twice. Each time, she shakes.
She has nightmares in her sleep. She has a lounge chair where she feels most comfortable. Crate training is out. She refuses to eat or leave the crate. She lived her first year and a half in a crate. Her crate mates where removed and beaten to death while she watched.

Thank you for the additional information. It really helps and I appreciate the added information.

It sounds to me like your Korean dog is a dog with very low self confidence, which is why she's so timid of everything. Add to that you've only had her for a few weeks, and you have to realize that isn't enough time for a rescue dog to feel safe and secure in her environment, regardless of how sweet you are to her and how much you love her. It will take time for her to feel safe, especially since she had such a horrible and traumatic beginning. Just like a human who has been through a trauma, dogs can get stuck in that mindset and it takes quite a bit of work to bring them around.

Until then, there are a couple over-the-counter products you could try to help ease her anxiety.

Melantonin is an over-the-counter drug that can be used to treat some anxiety issues in dogs. The dose you would give would be up to 3 mg given orally whenever necessary up to every 8 hours. More information can be found here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx , which includes risks, warning signs to watch out for and other bits of useful information.

Try a DAP collar. These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's office..you can also find them online at places like Amazon.com and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions.

I would also get her involved in a basic obedience class. Not because she needs to learn to sit and stay, but because taking her through training will improve the bond between you and she and will also help her with her self esteem because she'll know that you're going to be her pack leader and will help point her in the right direction and tell her what needs to be done. It'll also help by giving her a boost in self confidence, which all rescues really need. I know that it seems counter productive, but the longer we wait to get her into a class, the harder it will be to get her over the fear and anxiety. If she gets along with and trusts your other dog, you could have him join you in the classes, as this will provide her with some comfort. Obedience classes are great...and if you tell the people who run it the situation, they'll likely put her in a puppy class where the dogs will all be really non-confrontational which will make her feel less threatened being introduced to them.

I know that what you want to do is to comfort her when she's afraid, but the best thing to do is to completely ignore that behavior and only give her attention when she's not acting fearful, even if it's something as little as looking at your husband (whom she may always be a bit afraid of, since it's usually men who do the culling in these meat markets). By ignoring the fearful behavior and rewarding the non-fearful and giving her as much time as needed...and to be completely honest, I once worked with a Bimini rescue dog who took YEARS to come around, so you may be in for a marathon...and you can get her to come around.

I hope this helps

Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician