Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a a one year and three month old Chihuahua mix that…

Customer Question
I have a a one...
I have a a one year and three month old Chihuahua mix that has a great amount of anxiety and fear. She becomes extremely anxious and barkie with people and other dogs that pass by when we are in the car or outside. Sometimes this behavior is extreme. She is on her second months of Zilkene and training was attempted but she would not participate, would stand next to the wall. She became ill with parvo virus tow days after I got her (internet) and was hospitalized for two nights not in secession. She was not allowed to be around other dogs until she was parvo free. She later had giardia. She was free of parvo and giardia about 3 months later. Please advise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
2/14/2016
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

When she barks at other dogs is she lose in the car or in the home or are you walking her?

What commands does she know?

When if comes to training, you said she went to a class, what was her reaction? Have you tried training at home?

She barks from inside the car and on occasion when walking on a leash. During training she would not participate, would stand next to the wall. She understands sit, enough, will come when called and loves to play ball. We use the crate for time out when she gets out of control or refuses to respond to commands. She is very loving with my daughter and I. When my other daughter visits form LA, it takes couple hours for her to stop barking, less than the time before. My daughters are adults.
we do work with her at home.

Thank you for that information. Am I right in assuming that internet means you purchased her online and if so did you see the parents or was this a ship to you dog?

Prefer the typing. The charges seem to add up for a phone call. Maybe this isn't a good idea. I think I need to consult a behaviorist locally. Please cancel this consultation. Thanks for listening.

I'm sorry , were you offered a phone call during our chat?

I will be happy to continue with you via this chat, I think what you saw was a pop up from the company, it does not mean you need to accept that as a phone call , typing is just fine. And if you can't get all information in on this night due to time restraints you can take another day to type what you need to. Your replies will come to my email and I can answer you as soon as I am next on line.