Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

I have recently acquired through a pet rescue service a x

Customer Question
Good morning, I have recently acquired...
Good morning,
I have recently acquired through a pet rescue service a ***** ***** x terrier. 4 tears old.
He is house trained and very lively, however he has this habit on "Nipping", not biting as such, also he continually licking and chewing his forelegs. He also chews everything in sight including computer cables as well as my Oxygen tubing. Now can I stop his nipping and licking?
thank you
Alan j
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
2/12/2016
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

You say he isn't biting but nipping. Do you mean that he is lunging like he is going to bite or something else?

Does he scratch a lot?

What toys does he have of his own?

Are all of his toys out all the time for him to play with?

What games do you play with him?

Alan,

I was hoping for a response to my request for more information but I don't what you going too long without an answer. He needs some chew toys that are just his. Kongs filled with yogurt or peanut butter that does not contain xylitol then frozen before given to the dog make excellent choices. He needs at least 6 plus toys as you can only have half down at one time and need to rotate them to keep the dog's interest. In addition, run free cords through pvc pipe to prevent him chewing on them. Electric cords can even cause death if he chews through one. I understand you can not do that with your oxygen tub but you can put bitter apple spray or hot sauce on the outside to discourage his chewing on the oxygen tubing that has to remain able to be moved around.

He needs to have obedience training as well. This will help stop him from biting and lunching. That is his way of reprimanding you for doing things he doesn't want you to do such as making him move or you moving when he doesn't want you to. Only the boss is allowed to reprimand so you need the obedience training to show him you are the boss. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Additionally, his licking and chewing on his paws may indicate an allergy condition or a thyroid condition. A thyroid condition might also explain his sudden aggression as we do see this with dogs having thyroid imbalances. So you will want to have a thyroid panel done at a minimum. Your vet can also check to make sure there is no yeast dermatitis present on the paws already from the licking and chewing. If there is a yeast dermatitis which frequently causes a musty odor, you can use miconazole cream on the paws and use an e-collar to stop his chewing until the dermatitis is cleared up. Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours for itching due to allergies.

You can read about allergies here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

If you are unable to exercise him, see if there is a teenager in the neighborhood willing to take him for walks. Terriers are high energy and can become bored easily. If you have a yard, you might invest in a ball thrower and let the dog learn to put the balls in which lets him play on his own for hours if he wants. See one here:

http://www.godoggoinc.com/

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist