Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

Is it possible to train a year old dog to not bark and try

Customer Question
to rush at other dogs...
Is it possible to train a year old dog to not bark and try to rush at other dogs. My dog simmple wants to play.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Training
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/2/2016
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Of course you can train her not to bark and rush other dogs but it is going to take work and socialization. The first step is obedience training so she listens when you give her specific commands. This not only teaches commands, but also establishes you as the boss and as the boss, you are responsible for protecting her rather than her needed to protect you. This will help with the barking and lunging. First start with obedience training at home.

The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Once she is listening to commands well, then start with a training class with multiple dogs. This will help socialize her around other dogs and people in a controlled atmosphere where everyone has control of their own dogs. You may even find a suitable play mate for her at this class which will be a plus since you can then schedule times when they can run and play and get worn out.

You can also teach her not to bark. As crazy as this sounds you may wish to teach the pup the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.

http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

You also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar, shock bark collars and even shaking a can of coins that will stop excessive barking. When training I do suggest using high value treats like hot dog slivers and not store bought treats. You will have better results.

The bat method is often used for aggressive dogss but can work anytime one dog is barking and lunging at others. Read about this here:

http://functionalrewards.com/BAT-basics.pdf
http://www.petexpertise.com/behavior-adjustment-training-dog.html

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Hi Gloria,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Laya. How is everything going?
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist