Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My mini schnauzer digs at rug and bed at night like she

Customer Question

Hi my mini schnauzer digs at rug and bed at night like she hears something. She has done this in the past when smoke alarm goes off in our apt. We live in an apt while waiting for our house to be built. Can you please help with this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has only done it before because of the smioke alarms. Now at bedtime and in early morning the last day or so. Could it be airplane noise in the distance. We live near DC
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years.

I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

So it has only happened during a noise that may be high pitched or will she do it for all sounds?

Are there any new residents in the complex that you know of?

What do you do to stop her from doing this?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Does the dog have any health issues such as seizure or hearing probems

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night no noise except window open a bit. No health problems. I tried putting her off bed telling her no. Then when nothing worked I hugged her and pet her until we fell asleep. No new neighbors . Noise in morning was flaint airplanes in background. She has done in once before when there was no alarms going off besides last night and this morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last night no noise except window open a bit. No health problems. I tried putting her off bed telling her no. Then when nothing worked I hugged her and pet her until we fell asleep. No new neighbors. Noise in morning was faint airplanes in background. She has done it once before in past when no alarms or noise where present. Until last night and morning.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. If it comes on suddenly you want to make sure that it is not some type of neurological problem such as seizure activity. Not all dogs go through what most people think of when they think of seizures, sometimes it can illicit abnormal behaviors.

The next thing you want to look at is noise, as you assume about the airplanes, which could produce high pitched noises we are not likely to be bothered with, or noise in the floor itself such as mice or if there are people living under you in the apartment complex.

From a behavior standpoint, telling a dog rarely works if there is an unwanted behavior. It may interrupt the behavior for a moment but the dog usually goes back to doing it. I would recommend you have something handy to grab and redirect her actions to something she can dog and see if that works. maybe she has a favorite toy or you can try a toy such as a Kong, stuff it with cream cheese or peanut butter, and keep it in the fridge. When you see her doing this again grab that filled Kong and set it down in front of her. If she is not interested in anything that may be viewed as special to her, then I would think it may be more neurological.

I say neurological because this breed is prone to epilepsy and are usually affected around the 3 to 5 year range. There are different components to seizures, some dogs will snap at imaginary flies, some will lick at air, some will show other odd behaviors. IF you have a cell phone, record the next episode to show to your vet just in case this is not a behavior problem.