Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

I am fostering an 8month old huskie/terrier(possibly pit)mix

Customer Question
that is real aggressive towards...
I am fostering an 8month old huskie/terrier(possibly pit)mix that is real aggressive towards other dogs. Like a fighting pitbull. In the house she attacks my other dog to keep him away from me. I need help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
1/4/2016
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is she spayed?

If so, was it done more than a month ago?

has she had any training at all such as obedience training?

Is she drawing blood or just sound like they are tearing each other up?

Is your male neutered?

Is it only when he comes near you or is she aggressive toward him anyway?

Wh

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

At this point in time, I can't do a phone call. In addition, I am likely going to be sending you a lot of links to sites to help you with the situation you are having that I won't be able to do on the phone. If you can respond with the answers to the information request I can start working on your answer. I do have a meeting I need to attend shortly which would make a phone call difficult if I needed to stop in the middle.

spayed 1month. both males are fixed. she is not playing she is aggressively trying to do damage but nothing yet. goes after them in the house to keep them away from me, but outside its no holes barred. They don't fight back.

Thanks for that additional information. She is obviously a dominant female. She likely was close to being in heat when she was spayed or was spayed shortly after. Femalse are quite aggressive during their cycle so it may take about a month to get the hormones stable.

What she needs is extensive obedience training. Until then you should muzzle her to prevent injury to your other dogs. They make basket muzzles that allow a dog to eat and drink and breath relatively normal while preventing bites. Use this when she is around the other dogs or outside with them unsupervised.

Start obedience training. It has to be formal training but not necessarily in a class setting initially though you will want at least one class after she is trained so a trainer can correct any issues that still remain or can fine tune the training methods. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Training helps you gain control over her. The other thing to learn is dog body language. This will help you determine how each dog is feeling and hopefully stop fights before they start. For instance, you notice her hair up and gaze fixed on another dog. Before she acts on her intent, call her to you and then reward her for coming to you You will also need to change how you treat the dogs. Since she seems to be the dominant dog, you need to treat her like the dominant dog. Geed her first, let her out first, show her attention first, etc. Only show the other dogs attention after she has had her fill. I know it isn’t fair to your own dogs, but when you do anything else, it creates conflict between the dogs.

Additional training can also help. Both dogs should be leashed and if one dog even looks at the other dog, a correction should be done. Any sign of aggression including a prolonged look, hair raised on the shoulders, a growl or even a stiff legged walk, should be corrected. A correction is a quick tug of the leash and a firm low toned "NO". Once you have done this couple of times, you should notice the dogs ignoring each other. When that happens, you will want to reward them for the desired behavior. Again, use tasty treats like the hot dog slices. This teaches the dogs that you WILL not tolerate fighting in YOUR pack.

You can start this with her wearing the muzzle but eventually it has to come off, but hopefully by then you will have already got her to the point where you can control her.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Hi Kathy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist