Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

, I have an eight month old male beagle that had a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is Jamin
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have an eight month old male beagle that had a previous owner. I've been crate training him for three months and he still poops inside. He used to poop in his crate when we were gone but I broke him of that by keeping him in there for progressively longer periods of time... We just got a nine week old female and before we got her he was doing ok but he's gotten worse with the pooping
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jamin,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

So your boy was mostly not defecating in the crate but since you got a puppy, he has started doing so again. Correct?

How long have you had the puppy?

What have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he started doing it again it seems. I was taking him outside pretty regularly and he was doing just fine. It just doesn't make any sense to me why he could hold it for more than four hours in his crate but not while he's running around in the house. I got the other beagle pup on Tuesday. I got a crate for the puppy and she went to the bathroom in the house a couple times but as soon as I started putting her in the crate right after she would go to the bathroom then taking her out to go and then giving her a treat for going outside she has been doing just fine. Before we got the pup he would squat like a female outside to go pee. Then after we got the female pup he started lifting his leg to pee on things outside. Also I would take the boy outside (the older dog) to go to the bathroom. When he would go to the bathroom I would give him a treat. If he only went pee then I would walk him to a corner on the block and he would eventually go poop.

Hi JaCustomer,

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. Almost all puppies have worms. It usually takes multiple dewormings to totally rid them of the parasites. This usually means at least two dewormings after pups go to their new homes. As a result, it is likely your male has contracted worms or a protozoan infection such as giardia or coccidia from the pup. These make it difficult for a dog to control their bowels. This may be why he is now having problems with defecating inside.

If you are no longer crating him because you are using it for the pup, then that may also contribute to the problem. Some dogs need to move around to get their bowels moving. if he is able to walk around the house now, that may also trigger his bowels as well. Now if you were taking him out on a schedule like every couple of hours, he may never have figured a way of letting you know he needed to go out. So he doesn't have a way of signalling and thus defecates on the floor.

Put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that they needs to go out. This may help the male and the female both learn how to tell you they need out. This may also help solve the problem. You also need to clean any messes up with a good enzymatic pet odor remover. It breaks down the protein to remove the odor completely from the carpet, etc. Their noses are more sensitive than ours and any lingering odor will draw them to the area to eliminate. Males also tend to eliminate over where a female has gone before.

Otherwise, you could retrain him with a second crate and you are doing that correctly so it should work faster on him a second time around.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?