Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

Type Your Question Here...

Customer Question
Type Your Question Here...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2015
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

So what situation are you trying to prepare for?

The more detail and background information I have, the better I'll be able to answer. Be sure to include breed, age, etc.

I already typed a question to PawsitiveTrainer. He asked me to "confirm my settings" for some reason. I couldn't find any link for that purpose so I tried going into my account to see if there were any settings that needed redone. I lost him. So is there anyway for you to get the question from him?

I saw your other question but it only stated what you have here. I believe you were interacting with the website itself and not the trainer as that particular expert isn't online often. There doesn't appear to be any other questions with an actual question on it under your user id. If you could repeat the question, I can help you. I suspect ithe information was lost.

The situation is that I have a very intelligent Cockapoo just under 7 years old. She's so intelligent that she seems to know that I have a chronic inner ear condition that appears in episodes. Since I got her at 5.5 months old, she's been able to give me a 2.5 to 3 hour warning that an episode is coming on -- who knows what she senses! So she's a very lucky Penny (Penny is her name). But she suffers from severe separation anxiety. I've managed to teach her somehow that if she sees me get into the car from the window, she will know I'm leaving home and won't be back until she sees my car again, and me get out and walk to the door. The problem I'm anticipating (or think could be a problem) is I'm moving to a new home in two weeks and this place does have a window for her to look out, but there won't be a carport -- I'll come right into the house from the garage and she'll lose sight of the car almost as soon as I pull into the driveway, then she won't see me again until I come through the garage into the utility room. Maybe this is a non-problem, but I'm anticipating her anxiety of losing sight of me once I come home again. Even if the problem arises, I know she's so smart she'll "get it" very quickly. But for some reason, I'm preoccupied with the anxiety she will have. The fact is, she already has some anxiety watching the packing and boxes leaving the house. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the additional information, it is helpful.

I agree with you that it is likely she will adjust pretty quickly to the change but I also understand your concerns. I can give you an idea that may help her adjust to this a little easier. create a barrier that will block the car from her view such as a hanging tarp. You could start by lowering it half way so she only sees half of the car, then progressively lower it until she can not see the car at all. Doing this before you move will at least give her the security of the home she has lived in as a source of helping relieving any anxiety. This will let her get used to not seeing you actually get in and out of the car. Then when you get to the new house, she will see the car leave and associate it with you leaving.

This is what I believe will be the best way to aclimate her to the new car location in the new house. If you can not block the carport view perhaps blocking it closer to the window would achieve the same purpose.

You might also get a DAP collar to help keep her calm and less anxious during the move. They are proven effective for anxiety situations. They can be purchased online, in pet stores and in the vet's office.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist