Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

I have two rescue dogs, English setters, approx. 4 years

Customer Question
old. both females...
I have two rescue dogs, English setters, approx. 4 years old. both females. found together after being abandoned.
One of the dogs "N" has damage around the face and jaw, which makes chewing difficult for her. She is a slow eater as a result. Recently she has started refusing food. She guards the bowl, and will engage in growling and snapping at the other dog, "A". A is the alpha, and mostly ignores N.
I've tried feeding them separately. N still refuses. Even when A has left the room N will still protect her bowl and growl and bark at the door.
What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
10/30/2015
Dog Trainer: agilityaddict, Pet Trainer replied 2 years ago
agilityaddict
agilityaddict, Pet Trainer

How long has this been going on? Are there any other changes in "N"s behavior or health? Are the dogs crate trained?

Thanks,

Lynn

Hi Lynn,N, Nava has done this in the past for a day or two and then it has subsided. This has been going on for over a week and escalating. Nava's health and energy appear good. I've not observed any other changes in her behavior. The dogs share a crate (large) .

Thank you for the additional information. The first suggestion I would have for you to try feeding Nava in the crate, and the other dog in a different room. Hopefully being in the crate would make her feel more secure, and less threatened. She can also have all the time she needs to eat her food this way.

If that doesn't work I would recommend taking Nava in for a check up because sometimes behavior changes like this can be caused by an underlying health problem such as hypothyroidism. If there are no medical issues, an anti-anxiety medication would be something to ask your veterinarian about. If you have further questions let me know.

Best wishes,

Lynn

I've tried feeding her alone in the crate, or alone in the bathroom. She just cries and turns up her nose. This appears behavioral by the cacophony of growling and barking that occurs. any other suggestions?

This is a tough problem to deal with especially with a dog that has physical problems with eating as well. If you haven't tried different foods, or adding a small amount of canned food to her dry I would do that, to see if it can be made a little more tempting to her. (Though I'm guessing you've done that as well.) You could try a natural calming aid such as Stress Free Calmplex from Springtime.

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/stress-free-calmplex-supplement-dogs-calming-relief/All-Natural-Dog-Supplements

If these things don't help, if it were my dog, I would take her in for an exam, and to discuss prescription anti-anxiety medication. You've been doing everything that typically helps already.

Lynn

Hi Judy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
agilityaddict
agilityaddict
agilityaddict
agilityaddict, Pet Trainer