Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

We adopted a 4 year old Yorkie 4 years ago who had several

Customer Question

We adopted a 4 year old Yorkie 4 years ago who had several behavioral problems, including not being socialized to people or other dogs. We have been able to correct most of his problems, however we are stumped as to why he bites at my husbands shoes and how to correct him. He sits and sleeps on my husbands lap in the living room all afternoon and gives him kisses but when my husband is at the kitchen table in the evening eating supper and gets up to walk around the kitchen or go back to the living room our dog attacks him, biting at his shoes making it hard for him to walk. My husband is 91 years old and I am afraid our dog will make him fall and break a bone. He does not attack me or my daughter. We have put him in a room away from the family and tried withholding treats, but nothing seems to help. Why does he do this and how can we correct it?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.

It is likely the simple act of movement combined with the fact that the dog seemingly likes to be with your husband. It may also be the way your husband moves his feet as opposes to the way you or your daughter walk.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.

The best thing to do is teach a couple of firm commands one would be leave it. This tells the dog to leave everything it has it's mind on alone and put its attention back on you

Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.

The next command would be a Down Stay. I would put the dogs bed somewhere in the kitchen or put him on a mat/rug and give him the down stay. When you give a "Stay" the dog is not to move until you give it a release command such as "okay". Too often people teach stay but never give the release command so the dog gets up when it wishes. This would solve the problem anytime your husband needs to walk by

Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.

There is a very simple method of positive training called clicker training. Have you heard of this and if not would you like a link to take you step by step?