Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

My dog is Pug 5year old s name is Nugget I got m from

Customer Question
Hi Dr Harry my name...
Hi Dr Harry my name is ***** ***** my dog is Pug 5year old His name is***** got him from Banksia park 6 monhs ago I try everithing to stop urinating on everything his not house trained . Please give me some advise . Thank you all the best
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
9/17/2015
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist

Hello, I am sorry you had to wait for an answer. The original expert you asked for is either not online, or, no longer in the dog category. When you request an expert they have a personal lock/hold on the question, which means that another expert has to wait for the lock to clear before they can help you.

My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years in behavior.

Is the dog giving a full stream of urine or is he spritzing urine in small quantities on everything?

Is he neutered?

Do you allow him run of the home?

How have you been trying to potty train him?

Nugget is outside dog but he is urinat on everything on the pergola and he is 5 year old dog he is de sexted I got him 6 month ago

Thank you for that information. If he is actively urinating and not just marking, then you want to start the potty training procedure again. When we get a rescue we never know their history which means we do not know if they were ever trained properly or if they were trained in such an old fashioned way that it has ruined them from training. Much is going to then depend on how the new owner handles retraining them as to how long it will take.

If the dog is marking then that is a completely different story and this is not something that can be trained out but only managed through vigilance, so it is very important to know the difference.

To start over the dog must not have run of the home because by allowing this you are setting him up to fail. He has gone his life with going inside the home so it is a learned behavior that we want him to unlearn. So it is important he be kept in a crate or on a tether next to his bed and food bowls as dog do not like to eliminate where they eat and sleep. If you can’t watch him 100% he must be contained and sometimes when people get busy around the house they actually tether the dog to them so they can watch them

Clean all areas you know that he has gone with a cleanser made just for dog urine or he will be attracted back to those spots.

Take him out via a leash and give a potty command, such as “go potty” and continue to say go potty even as he is eliminating so he associates the command with the act. Once he is done praise and reward but the reward must be special and something he will only get when he potties outside so he associates this with that command and the act. Something like hot dog slivers work well or cheese chunks.

Inside the home once you have cleaned all areas he is known to go in, start to sprinkle some of his kibble or treats in those areas so he begins to see them as an eating area. Eventually you can replace that with small bowls of water until he is trained

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nugget. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist