Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

Is there something you can put on potty pads that will attract

Customer Question

Is there something you can put on potty pads that will attract the dog to them?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I've been working professionally in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will b my pleasure to work with you today.
There are methods to help a dog learn to eliminate on pads but they do make some sprays at the pet stores that will help attract dogs to pads.
http://www.chewy.com/dog/simple-solution-puppy-potty-training/dp/56115?utm_
http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solution-Post-Pheromone-Treated-Stake/dp/B0002DH5MG
http://www.wag.com/html/sg/dog-pee-spray-attract.html
Some pads are already scented. Putting some fecal matter from your dog on the pad can help as well. That does answer your direct question.
I do want to give you some ways of training dogs to go in one area. For training to pads or paper, this is the best way to go about it with the least amount of stress on your dog. It will take some effort on your part.
In the area that you want him to use the pad, set up an enclosure. You can use child gates, free standing pet enclosures, or anything that will serve to enclose the area you want him to use. These are the times when you will be taking your dog to the enclosure. When you feed or give your dog water, first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times.
You will want to start this when you are not working or when you can spend a couple of hours in the morning and evening exclusively doing this. Enclose or barricade the area and put pads over the entire area. Scent one of the pads and place it where you will leave it when there is only one pad. When you and your dog get up in the morning, instead of taking him outside, take him to the enclosed area and put him inside it. You can leave him a few toys but basically put him in the enclosed area. It is best if you can stay there and keep an eye on him. Do not engage him with talk or play or reassurances. Just be there so you can see him when he actually goes. He may be reluctant, but do not cave in to whines or cries. You must remain calm and in control and ignore him. Sit in a chair and read or do some other activity to keep you occupied while he is in there so you are not focused on him but can still see him. It may take some time, especially the first time, but he will eventually go on the pads as he has no where else to go. When you see him start to go, you can say in a low calm voice “good potty”. It needs to be in a low quiet voice so he isn’t startled into stopping. Give him lots of praise for succeeding and perhaps a little treat and you can then remove him from the enclosure and open it up so he has access if he want to use it. The first time may take an hour or more, but if you do it first thing in the morning, it is likely to take less time.
Repeat this according to the circumstances I mentioned earlier concerning when he should be going and a few extra times during the day to try and avoid accidents. After a few times going in the enclosed space and being praised for it and getting treats he should not be as reluctant to go in the enclosed area. Continue to praise and say the key wood “Potty”. When he reaches the point where he is going to the bathroom almost immediately in the enclosure on the pads, you will want to start taking up some of the pads so only a portion of the enclosed area has pads. Repeat as if the whole area was covered. Your dog should go on the pads and not the floor. If he does, continue the praise and treats. Slowly reduce the number of pads in the area until you are down to one or two only. If he should happen to miss the pad or go off the pad, add some more for the next time as you probably were taking them away too fast. At this point he knows the pads are where he should be going.
Once he is going on the pads and you are down to one or two pads, don’t close up the enclosure when you put him in it. He should still use the pad as he is now used to it. When he does, again praise, praise and more praise, let him come out the opening. Continue this process if it is necessary, but with the enclosure being open, you may now find that he is going there on his own. Once you notice he is using it without you putting him in there, you should be able to take away the enclosure or barrier. He should now be trained to use the pad.
Depending on how quick a learner he is, you may find he starts going in and using the pad early. If so the barrier can go earlier, but you should still only slowly reduce the number of pads he has to go on, so he doesn't miss, use the floor and think it is ok.
Second method is similar but you would leave him in the enclosed area all the time unless you are taking him for a walk, and just slowly removing paper and decreasing the area inside the enclosure that is papered. As long as he continues to use the paper, you are not moving too fast. Once you are down to a small area, he should be trained. I suggest this because while the dog is contained in an area with paper, the dog may not be as stressed as when there is a cage all around him.
Third method
Set up a contained small area with the paper. Then you will have the dog on a leash attached to you. I attach the leash to a belt loop on my pants. This way he is always where you can observe him easily and stop him before he starts urinating and place him in the potty area. When you see him start to lift his leg or squat, give a quick short tug on the leash and in a low toned, firm voice say "NO". Do not be upset. Pick him up and put him in the potty area. With this method it is best to just stand outside the area looking around ignoring the dog until he goes. Remember praise is everything.
Now a sod patch works fast. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform.
this works quickly because the dog is used to going on the substrate of grass and dirt. So they usually learn quickly to go on the sod patch. Fake grass smells nothing like real grass and thus is not very effective and can even cause dogs to start going on carpt.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.