Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

I have a 5yr old Welsh Corgi. I am moving to an upstairs apt

Customer Question

I have a 5yr old Welsh Corgi. I am moving to an upstairs apt in a month. She is very well trained to do her business outside. She also has beginning of hip dysplasia (spelling?).
I would like to teach her to us the shower sometimes for her potty since we will be on the 2nd floor. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
I think I understand why you are inclined to have her start eliminating inside in the shower area. Her hips are bad and going down the stairs may be hard for her as well as controlling herself until she can get down. A lot of apartment dwellers have their dogs eliminate inside. I haven't seen anyone specifically ask about the shower though and be advised that fecal matter and urine can sometimes stain and damage bathtubs and showers.
I'd like to offer an alternative that I think would be a better choice and one that you could actually use inside the shower. It is an actual sod patch. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform regularly.
Since sod is actual grass, your dog should naturally go on the patch without any real training. I do think this is a better idea since the dog maintains their substrate preference (grass) rather than learning to eliminate on porcelain or high impact plastic.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?