Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

I have a redboon coon hound possible a mix with ??? He was…

Customer Question
I have a redboon coon...
I have a redboon coon hound possible a mix with ??? He was a rescue very good with my young grandchildren but he wants to naw and biting why
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
7/3/2015
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
How long have you had the hound?
How long has he been good with the grandchildren?
How long has he been gnawing and biting?
Is he grabbing a hand or arm and holding it or fast quick bites?
Is he biting them?
How old is he now?
What obedience training have you done with him?
What have you tried to stop the behavior?
Jacustomer,
I was hoping to get some responses back to my information request but it doesn't seem like you have had the time to respond or it didn't come through if you did. Let me give you some ideas on how to stop the biting and gnawing that I use in my training programs.
When a dog is chewing and nipping on people the best method is to say “NO’ make a cry of pain and most puppies will respond and stop. For those that don’t respond, you will need to redirect his nipping or biting to an appropriate object. If you are playing and he nips, you want to do the same and then stop playing with him. He should learn soon that if he nips, playtime is over. Some puppies learn earlier than others and most do not totally learn not to nip and chew on you until they are 4-5 months old.
Another thing that you will want to do is try and teach children that may be around your puppy not to make high-pitched squeals and run. To a puppy or dog, high pitched noises mean play time and it is a natural instinct called prey drive to chase after a running object. You may want to keep a leash on your puppy at all times so you can easily give a quick tug for a correction when he is doing something that is not allowed such as nipping or chewing. You also need to remember that corrections are worthless if not done when the behavior is occurring. You can not correct a dog if you find something chewed. You can only correct him when he is actually doing it.
Here are some great sites on bite inhibition.
http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/puppy-socialization-and-bite-inhibition/271
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-44.htm
Once your pup has completed his shots at around 16 weeks old, you will want to enroll him in Puppy obedience classes. Of course you can work on sit and come at home but class will be a chance for your puppy to interact with other puppies and learn from the experience. He will probably be in contact with older dogs as well and gain more dog social skills as well. You should also have him around a varied group of people so he is comfortable with all people whether they are children, adults, elderly, white, black, and green. etc. A well socialized dog is less likely to become a problem dog.
Now there are some dogs that just don't seem to get the message. Dogs that are taken away from their mothers too early are deprived of the time with their siblings and other dogs which helps them learn that biting can hurt so they need to be careful. Now there is a method for stubborn biters but it should be used as a last resort. You can stop mouthing and biting hard by going the opposite direction. Instead of taking your hand out of his mouth, put it further in the mouth. DO NOT do this meanly (not that you would). Do not do it quickly or shove it in too far, just move it further in enough that it makes him uncomfortable so that he pulls her mouth away from your hand. He will learn that putting his mouth on your hand results in the hand going further in and possibly triggering a gag reflex which he will not find pleasant. I'v found that this methods works on the most stubborn puppies.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.