Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

We rescued a little mixed breed dog. I'm not sure what breeds…

Customer Question
We rescued a little mixed...
We rescued a little mixed breed dog. I'm not sure what breeds but she acts like a terrier The problem is she is very timid. She will sit next to me and love to be petted but when I open the front door, she dashes out and refuses to come to me. I'm afraid she is going to be hit by a car. I'm trying to teach with a treat to come to me and she will go and hide. I can't leave to chase her because I have a medically fragile child that I can't leave. She acts like she's been beaten in the past. How can I earn her trust?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
7/2/2015
Dog Trainer: Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...How long have you had Trixie?Do you know anything about her life before you?How does she act around your child?Is she getting any walks daily?Is she crate trained at all?
We've had Trixie less than a year
We know nothing about her life before we adopted her
She is gentle but pretty much ignores her
No to daily walks, she has a doggy door and access to the back yard
We have never tried a crate
Thanks so much for the additional information. I really appreciate it.It sounds to me like your Trixie girl is a dog with very low self confidence, which is why she's so timid of everything. Add to that you've only had her for a less than a year, and you have to realize that isn't enough time for a rescue dog(who likely didn't have a good start to her life in her previous home) to feel safe and secure in her environment, regardless of how sweet you are to her and how much you love her. It will take time for her to feel safe. Until then, there are a couple over-the-counter products you could try to help ease her anxiety. Melantonin is an over-the-counter drug that can be used to treat some anxiety issues in dogs. The dose you would give would be up to 3 mg given orally whenever necessary up to every 8 hours. More information can be found here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx , which includes risks, warning signs to watch out for and other bits of useful information. Try a DAP collar. These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's office..you can also find them online at places like Amazon.com and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions. I would also get her involved in a basic obedience class. Not because she needs to learn to sit and stay, but because taking her through training will improve the bond between you and she and will also help her with her self esteem because she'll know that you're going to be her pack leader and will help point her in the right direction and tell her what needs to be done. It'll also help by giving her a boost in self confidence, which all rescues really need. I know that it seems counter productive, but the longer we wait to get her into a class, the harder it will be to get her over the fear and anxiety. Obedience classes are great...and if you tell the people who run it the situation, they'll likely put her in a puppy class where the dogs will all be really non-confrontational which will make her feel less threatened being introduced to them. I hope this helps.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa