Dog Training

Have dog training questions? Ask a dog trainer.

My Mother got a small dog from the local humane society about…

Customer Question
My Mother got a small...
My Mother got a small dog from the local humane society about 3 months ago. He is an adult male, neutered, I think part Pom chihuahua mix. When I go over to their house he barks hysterically and jumps up on me. Two weeks ago when I went over they were sitting outside, they keep him on a leash when they are out, and he headed straight for me pulling her behind him. She is not that steady on her feet any more and was having trouble controlling him. He jumped up on me and I bent down to say hi. I thought we were ok because the week before he finally settled down and was sitting on my lap. However when I got up to leave he started barking frantically again. Anyway way, he licked my face and then I thought I felt him try and nip me. It was super light and felt like he had lightly brushed my chin. I didn't say anything. We were walking around and he would continue barking when I would move. He was right by my feet. We were in the driveway and going to go into the house. I started walking he was barking and jumping on me and bit me in the leg. Luckily he got a mouth full of blue jean and only grazed my leg. We finally wound up putting him in another room because every time I try walking he comes after me. Other than never going over there and always putting him in another room what can I do? Thank you, Jenny
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Training
6/20/2015
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 3 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Hi Jenny and thank you for using this site to help you. How often do you go there? Do you know if your mom works on obedience training with the pup? Are you the only one the dog goes after? What have you tried so far?
I go over about once a week or so. They have tried spraying him with water in a spray bottle and lately using a rolled up news paper to swat him with along with saying no bark. They do not get a lot of visitors and say that he only does it with me. I have tried kneeing him in the chest when he jumps up, ignoring him and greeting him to try and satisfy his wanting to be acknowledged. It seems to be getting worse instead of better.
Thank you , I have been working on your question. It is possible the dog is acting out of fear, alpha or possession aggression of what he perceives as his. Your mom will have to do some training with the dog but it is fairly easy and she can do it at home while sitting. It would be good if you could get involved with the training as well when you are over so the dog sees both of you as being consistent in what you expect from it. When there is no consistency then the dog is more likely to act out. What you will want to do is have the dog view visitors (you) in a new light, but first brush up on a down- stay on his bed or an area carpet so you can be sure he won’t move until you give him a release command which tells him it is okay to move off of the bed/mat. Dogs only learn to stay in one area for a long time if you remember to teach a release, otherwise they get up on their own. I would also teach the leave it command and get that down firm. This says to the dog leave everything you have your mind on alone and put your attention on me. This can prevent many mishaps. I would suggest clicker training to teach this and I will direct you to a site below. I would train daily several times a day in short sessions so it seems to the dog that humans are consistent in what they expect from the dog. Consistency shows the dog boundaries of how it is expected to act in the home. I would use hot dog slivers for reward with this training so that the dog really pays attention. When you enter the home the dog should be in a down stay with a lead attached, when you enter and walk past the dog , you will toss a hot dog sliver or chicken sliver. At this point the you should have no other interaction with the dog. Totally ignore it (unless you also begin to train while there). Toss it a hot dog sliver as you leave as well. Again without saying a word to it. What you want the dog to realize through these visits is that when you come and go he gets something good with his good behavior. Eventually he will look forward to people coming in. Some dogs act out due to fear, or challenge. There are three things that humans do to dogs that they should not without an okay from the owner. They should not pet, talk to or make eye contact with the dog. All of these are seen as challenges and to an unstable dog (one that has fear, alpha or possession aggression) and the dog will react to it.So no touching, talking to or eye contact when the person enters. Use your peripheral vision to toss the treat. If your mom can start training before you get there so the dog knows what to expect from a command and the click sound then you can continue to train while sitting and visiting with her.
Clicker training/positive method training/ print offhttp://www.clickerlessons.com/ video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm
I would also stop swatting the dog and squirting the dog. This will only increase the dog's anxiety when you enter the home and have the dog associate bad things happening when you are around. Training it the right way to behave with your voice is best. Plus dogs come to fear a human hand when they have been swatted. These things are just interrupters but don't stop the behavior as you can see. It is like saying no to the dog 50 times, but you have not shown it how you want it to act instead.
Another thing you could try is to keep a kong at moms and stuff it with cream cheese or dog food, freeze it and the moment you get there, you give it to the dog. This will keep the dog quite busy through most of your visit and the dog will see you being there as a good thing. This is the only time the dog should get such a treat.
Please let me know if you have any questions. If not please don't forget to rate my service before you leave. Rating will not prevent you from coming back and asking more questions if you have a problem along the way:)
Thank you. These are all great ideas. I'm going to print this off and give it to my Mother. Hopefully I can get her to do her part. I will use the hot dog idea.
it does sound like the dog has some fear issues, so tell her also that by training the dog daily, she will boost the dogs confidence because she is setting the dog up to succeed not fail. Success build confidence :)
my suspicion is that the former owner did not know how to handle the fear reactions and so that is why the dog was given up in the first place.