Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

I have a dog with my fiancé. She is with "Jeter" 7 days a week.

Customer Question

I have a dog with my fiancé. She is with "Jeter" 7 days a week. When I'm not there Jeter coexists with her. When I am there he growls whe he sees her. She feeds him every day. When she is in the kitchen he follows her. Jeter is obsessed me me. Help!!
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Did you have the dog before moving in with your fiance?
How old is Jeter?
Is Jeter neutered?
What breed is Jeter?
Has Jeter had any obedience training?
I do need your honesty for this question. When Jeter did this the first time, did you laugh or show the dog any kind of positive attention?
What do you do when he displays this behavior now?
Does he stay with you when you are home or still follow her into the kitchen?
When he follows her into the kitchen is he growling or ok since he thinks he is getting fed?
If he has had obedience training, who worked with him?
What have you tried so far to stop the behavior?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not move in. 2 residences
12 yrs old
Neutered
Poodle mix
No ob training
No positive attention
I confrontbJeter and tell him to go to "mommy"
Still follow to kitchen
No growling at kitchen
No on training
I confront him and tell him to go to her
JaCustomer,
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.
This seems to be a bit of aggression due to him thinking that you are his and he really doesn't want her getting your attention since it only happens when you are there.
The first thing I would do is start obedience training. He isn't too old to learn. The following site is helpful for teaching . Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/NILIF.pdf
You should also keep a leash attached to him and when he exhibits that behavior, give a short tug on the leash to get his attention and a firm low toned "NO". In addition, keep a little bag of hot dog slivers and when he doesn't growl at her, reward him with calm praise and a hot dog sliver. Soon he will associate her coming toward you with the treats and stop that behavior.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi Joe,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?