Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

How should I reintroduce two male family dogs who were aggressive

Customer Question

How should I reintroduce two male family dogs who were aggressive with each other after both have been neutered? One is a 9 year old Lab and the other an 11 month old pit bull--both in home since they were each 8 weeks old and got along fine until a few weeks ago. They had two fights about a week apart and then 4 fights in one day. We kept them separated after that until we could get them both neutered. There are two other female dogs in the home and both males get along with the female dogs just fine.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Is the female fixed as well?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Do you know what preceded each fight?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
It seems you are offline. I will try to answer you as best I can with the information you provided.
If the females are not fixed there will always be a problem.
To reintroduce them you want to keep them on lead at all times until you are sure they are okay together. so use a gentle leader collar for introductions so you can control the head but in the home keeping a harnesses on them and attaching a short rope to each so you can separate them safely is the best bet.
Start it off gradually on neutral territory away from the females. The street you live on will be fine.
Do some general obedience training with each to make sure their commands are firm. If they did not listen to commands prior. such as when they were about to fight and you gave the leave it command and they did not listen, then they need more work in obedience first.
If they listen, then do the behavior adjustment training. This is when you let them meet at a distance and remove them before they can act out. Praise and reward that good behavior first and then remove them with an about turn and go in opposite directions. Then repeat. It may only be a few seconds at first that they will remain calm, but that is where you must build upon to increase the time and decrease the distance. It can take a while.
Make sure never to use negative training, such as a prong, choke chain or shock collar as these tools can make them more aggressive. You want their good behavior to show so the more you reward them for the good behavior the more you will see it.
Use a high value reward, such as chicken slivers.
I am going to direct you to sites for clicker training in case you need to brush up on commands in a positive method to firm them up. I will also direct you to a behavior adjustment site so you can see how that works/.
As well I would put both dogs on the learn to earn program which will put them on an even playing field as each other and put you a bit more above them so they view you differently. This will also increase their obeying your commands. If you are not familiar with the learn to earn I will post my article below on this and how it works.
I will be going offline for a doctor appt soon, but any questions you have you may post below and I will continue to check through the day for any reply. If you are satisfied with my service please don't forget to rate before you leave:) (rating will not prevent you from coming back and asking more about what I have explained in this question:)
Reactions to Actions or Learn to Earn
Copyright Sally G
In some instances with training depending on how well the dog responds to the above training you may also want to incorporate a type of ‘learn to earn’ training as well.
What learn to earn training means is that you are taking charge of their entire life’s wants and needs. No more free food is put down in front of them. Keep the daily dose of food in a closed tin in the area where the dog is fed, call the dog to you and ask him to sit. When he sits, he gets a handful of food. Do this throughout the day using any command that the dog knows and the dog must obey that command in order to get some food.
You will also take control of when the dogs can play. The toys should have been put away before this but if they were not, put all toys away, then when you are ready to play take out a toy and play with the dog, when you decide play is over put the toy away again.
Petting does not come to them just because they nudge you, you decide when this takes place, which means you would call them to you and pet them at your discretion and ask that a command be obeyed . If they nudge to be petted, you ignore that, but you can give the dog a command at any time to obey and reward that behavior with petting. Again you always want to reinforce a behavior you have asked for. So even though you know the dog has nudged you to be petted, you don’t have to totally ignore the dog, in fact this is the perfect opportunity to turn that nudge into a trick or command and praise and reward the dog for that.
Anything your dog takes for granted such as you opening the door to let it out, putting on a leash to go for a walk, allowing it to walk though a door before you, etc. these are all privileges to a dog that come naturally due to the human’s repetitive actions over time but many humans don’t realize this.
So before you go through that door put the dog in a sit or wait and you walk through first then invite the dog to walk through. Again this should be rewarded with praise. Before you put the leash on you ask for a sit stay. Furniture is a no, no for dogs that have aggressive tendencies because it puts them in a higher charge over the others in the home, even children.
Dogs should not just be allowed on the couch without specific invitation if at all. This need to be close and cuddle is more a human thing than a dog thing. Dogs do like to be close to the one they love and respect, but sitting on the floor next to that person will be enough to please them.
This is not to say that no dog should ever be allowed on a couch, it is perfectly fine if you have stable easy going dogs. It is when there are problem dogs in the home that furniture should be off limits to all dogs.
As mentioned above, in most cases dogs have developed habits that some owners allowed and gave in to over time but did not realize it. What might be helpful to the owner is to sit and make a list of all the good things your dog gets for free by an action that you have let the dog do for years. This will help you to turn those free behaviors into commands or tricks that can earn a reward.
When the dog tries that action to get the desired reaction from you, stop and think, did I call the dog over to be petted? Did I tell the dog it is time to go out and that is why he brings the leash? Did I say let’s play so that is why he dropped the ball in my lap? All of those actions got the dog reactions in the past usually in a positive beneficial way to the dog. So now it is time to turn that all around.
Keep in mind that dogs do what works for them and if it stops working they usually stop doing it. So when they growl or snap at you when you reach for that bone, it usually works as the human won't take it. I would never suggest to take anything from a growling dog, merely explaining that this works for the dog so therefore they do it. Using the learn to earn program does not really give them a chance to become possessive.
Dogs that are well balanced within a group to begin with do not really need any of the above things to change; it is your right to spoil a well rounded dog! It is only homes with dogs in it that have social limitations around other dogs that should need the above direction.
Clicker training/positive method training/ print off
http://www.clickerlessons.com/
video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm
Training method BAT http://empoweredanimals.com/