Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

How can i better train my puppy not to chew up all kids of

Customer Question
stuff...
How can i better train my puppy not to chew up all kids of stuff
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
6/8/2015
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Hi Customer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply. I hope you can be patient.
How old is your puppy?
what breed is the puppy?
What types of things is the puppy chewing up?
How long have you had the pup?
What toys does the puppy have?
What have you tried so far?
She was born February 11, 2015. And she is a pitbull full blood. We have her dad here at our home as well. She will chew up anything and everything. Trash toys wooden chairs cigarrtte butts foam anything she can. We took. Bonnie off her mom and brought her home with her dad at 3 weeks... She had a baby. But she shredded it. And ive tried punishments like spanking or timeout but nothing has worked.
Customer,
Thanks for that information. It is very helpful.
Part of the problem is that the pup was taken away from her mother way too early. Pups should be with their mom and siblings until they are at least 8 weeks of age. This isn't because of nursing, but because those extra months help teach them bite inhibition and other social skills. Unfortunately, it is too late to do much about that now.
Teaching a puppy not to bite and chew on things is very hard because your puppy is teething. Teething starts very early and lasts until a dog is over 7 months old in many cases. For this ready, you should always provide your puppy with lots of appropriate things for her to chew on.
They have wonderful chew toys that you can put treats inside or peanut butter inside that helps the puppy keep focused on that chew toy rather than your table legs or other inappropriate objects. Kongs are very good for this and you can freeze them making them last even longer.
This can be harder if there are children’s toys on the floor so it will take a lot of effort on your part to keep the floor free of these objects as much as possible.
Teach your dog what “NO’ means. I'm assuming at this part she knows this, but you never can tell. Some people yell stop, etc. It can be a powerful tool so you can stop the chewing at least long enough for you to remove it. You can also use a product called bitter apple on surfaces that you do not want your dog to chew on. It has a bad flavor that most dogs do not like. Hot pepper sauce can work as well for this purpose. Be sure to test the surface to ensure it doesn't stain.
You do need to redirect her biting to an appropriate object when you catch her. I do not recommend physically reprimanding dogs as it teaches them that physical reprimands are acceptable. A dog's reprimand is to bite and I know you do not want her biting someone to reprimand them.
You may want to keep a leash on your puppy at all times so you can easily give a short tug for a correction to get her attention and give the "NO" when he is doing something that is not allowed such as nchewing. The tug is just enough to get her attention and not the punishment. You also need to remember that corrections are worthless if not done when the behavior is occurring. You can not correct a dog if you find something chewed. You can only correct her when she is actually doing it. Correcting her any other time is worthless as she will just think you didn't want to find the item and not associate it with chewing the item.
Here are some great sites on bite inhibition since you might need this as well..
http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/puppy-socialization-and-bite-inhibition/271
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-44.htm
An important thing with a pup that has been taken from its mother early is socialization. Your pup should have completed her shots at around 16 weeks old, so you will want to enroll her in Puppy obedience classes. Of course you can work on sit and come at home but class will be a chance for your puppy to interact with other puppies and learn from the experience. She will probably be in contact with older dogs as well and gain more dog social skills as well. You should also have him around a varied group of people so she is comfortable with all people whether they are children, adults, elderly, white, black, and green. etc. A well socialized dog is less likely to become a problem dog.
So consistent training when she picks up something she shouldn't have, keeping inappropriate chewing items off the floor, providing her with her own chew toys along with a deterrent such as the bitter apple should help a lot. You might also want to crate her during those times you can not keep a close eye on her.
You can also set her up by leashing her and putting an object she likes to chew on the floor. Each time she goes and picks it up, do the short tug and firm NO and take it away. Do this repeatedly until she doesn't pick it up, When that happens, give her nice calm praise and a treat like a hot dog sliver. Continue practice with the item for a few days until she never picks it up. Repeat with various items and she will learn what items are unacceptable. You can also give her an appropriate play toy once in a while instead of treats so she knows which things are acceptable chew toys.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist