Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

How can I get my dog (pug puppy 17 weeks) to settle down on

Customer Question
the couch after she has...
How can I get my dog (pug puppy 17 weeks) to settle down on the couch after she has had a loooong walk and a meal. I just want to spent some "cuddly time" but she is still full of energy. (I actually take her for two walks and, if possible she comes everywhere with me and follows me around the house everywhere I go. I just want some "chill" time. Any suggestions
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
I also wanted to unsubscribe please
5/30/2015
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Hello and welcome . My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
I see that you give the dog plenty of body exercise which is great! At this age and as the pup grows to adulthood you will see more activity as she explores her world. This will get a bit worse before it gets better which is normal in puppies.
I can identify with your back problem so what I am going to suggest is that you give the dog more mind stimulation when you get back from a walk. Stimulating the mind sometimes wears a dog out faster than physical exercise. So when you get back to the house sit on the couch and begin to clicker train her in obedience.
Clicker training is a positive method of training, costs about 5- 10 US dollars for supplies and can be done easy enough when you are sitting down, (aside from the heel command).
The clicker costs about 3 US dollars and at treat bag about 5 US dollars.
You can train her while she is on the couch sitting next to you and this will help her to calm her physical body down. Cuddling may come later when she is a bit older
I would also suggest you get her some mind stimulating toys, also known as dog puzzles. These can be found on amazon.com just by typing dog puzzles into the search box. These will help use the mind and settle the body. Items like the Kong (stuff it with cream cheese ) the buster cube (fill it with daily kibble) and the treat dispensing ball should help greatly for when you need her to entertain herself so you can rest.
Clicker training/positive method training/ print off
http://www.clickerlessons.com/
video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm
Kong these work great when stuffed with cream cheese and frozen
http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Extreme-Dog-Large-Black/dp/B0002AR0II/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982805&sr=1-1&keywords=kong+dog+toys
Buster cube
http://www.amazon.com/Buster-Food-Cube-Large-Colors/dp/B0006G54OU/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982864&sr=1-2&keywords=buster+cube
Dog Puzzles. If you just type in dog puzzles on amazon you will come to a page full. I just happened to pick this one . PetCo also carries dog puzzles.
http://www.amazon.com/Company-Animals-Ottosson-Brick-Interactive/dp/B001KZ4WJE/ref=sr_1_23?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982918&sr=1-23&keywords=dog+puzzles+for+large+dogs
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist