Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

How do I potty train my 6 week old shih tzu puppy?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
5/23/2015
Dog Trainer: Sally G., Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
Is your intention to have the dog use pads or a grass patch inside the home or to go outside in the yard? (some people live in apartments so use grass patches)
Do you have a crate for the pup?
It is very nice to meet you to. I want him to go on pads as yes I live in an apartment. I have seen the artifical grass patches in the store but wasn't sure if I should but one. He is in an 8 panel puppy play pen. He will go on the pad when he is in there but getting him to go back to the spot is my issue. He as of yesterday is on a 3 time a day feeding schedule. I was told by my vet that this regulates him pooping but him peeing is another story as he goes often. I have heard it hard to train these little guys becuase of the size of their bladders. How do I get him to start to continuously go back to the pad for now (he will go outside after he has all of his shots) as sometimes when he is out he will not go back to that pad.
Thank you for that information. Training on a pad or grass patch is not much different from training to go outside. But if you are training the dog to go inside for the rest of its life then going outside , especially at this age will be difficult because there is so much more going on in the outside world to distract the pup.
I would suggest the grass patch or a dog litter box as this is more like the outside world as far as smell and feel.With the pads, sometimes the dog has problems deciphering between the carpet on the floor and the pads, especially as they age. To them it feels like a flat thing on the floor with little texture. This is usually when people run into problems.
so the basis still apply however pick the spot you will want the dog to go to for potty for life so the dog knows where it is. When things like this are moved around the home it becomes confusing. If possible, get a separate add on to what you have now and put the potty pad there as the potty ares is best if it is defined and not in the same area where the dog is going to sleep and eat. You can put the bed, food and water in one part and the pads, grass patch or whatever you chose in the other part ,this defines that area.
Keep in mind that accidents will happen for a while and if you cannot catch him in the act you can't really do anything to correct it. Dogs do not associate what they did ten minutes ago with why an owner may be upset.
A pup will need to go try potty every 2 hours, after play and after nap as well as eating.
It is at those time you will show him the potty area, give a potty command such as the pup's name and Go Potty, give this even as the pup is eliminating so the pup associates the command with the act. Then reward the puppy with a special treat so the pup associates the command with the act and the act with a special treat.
This is a very young pup to have left the litter so it may take longer than the average pup, but when I raised my litter of pups, in the basement I made them a play area, an eating area and a potty area all out of wood and they learned very fast what eat area was to be used for. So it can be done at this age:)
If you are satisfied with my service please rate before you leave. If you need more help just come back and ask:)
Yes he loves my living room rug as his bathroom. I bought a crate to attach to his play pen but took it back as I didn't have enough room for both in my living room. How many hours a day should I confine him to his play pen? As he does go on the pad when he is left in there. Also how long should he pkay for before I put him back in? Will this help him at all?
I see, then leave him in the play pen to sleep and eat and play and train in obedience for about an hour, then put him back in. Give him some time alone in there so he has nothing else to concentrate on.
Some of the dog pens you can kind of shape, if that is possible put you pads or grass patch in a smaller shaped end which would then define the space. There are also extended pens, where there is a place to play sleep and eat, then the dog goes through a door to the grass patch or pad. I am not sure this is what you were looking at that was too big. See the sites below .
http://www.petco.com/product/117327/Richell-Expandable-Pet-Pen-And-Floor-Tray-in-Autumn-Matte.aspx
http://imgkid.com/indoor-dog-pen-with-floor.shtml
If you have not got a good start on obedience, I am going to direct you to a site because at this age he can learn the command sit, as well and you can practice all commands as he develops. Play is good exercise for the body , but you want to work both the mind and body to tire him out.
You can usually tell when a pup is tired and ready to go back to bed because they sometimes get over stimulated and don't listen to you. They may even stat biting you or jumping on you. Much like a human toddler that is overtired.
Clicker training/positive method training/ print off
http://www.clickerlessons.com/
video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Well let's just say he's still kind of not getting it. So I asked his vet could I please take him outside to potty and I'm waiting on the answer from her now.
You may be able to take a pad outside with you, lay that down and he might go on that. Take one that has an odor on it. Also dogs rarely pee and poop in the same area so you may have to have more than one pad down.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist