Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

My Lhasa Apos, attacks any dog if it comes to me, if I'm not

Customer Question
in the yard they are...
My Lhasa Apos, attacks any dog if it comes to me, if I'm not in the yard they are ok. She doesn't bother people
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Training
5/4/2015
Dog Trainer: Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
My name is***** have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me a little time to type up your response. I'll try to stop the timer so you get a complete answer. I hope you can be patient. Is she attacking your other dog that had pups?Or is she attacking other dogs?What obedience training has she had?What have you tried so far?
She attacked my old lab and now my rescued nursingTerrier ony if I'm there and they come to me
Thanks for the additional information. It seems she is a very dominant dog and sees herself as the alpha of your pack. As the pack leader, she feels it is fine for her to reprimand the other dogs for their transgressions. See an alpha should be fed first, given attention first and be allowed to walk outside and come in first. When another dog tries to push past her to get attention, that is when she would reprimand them. If you allow them to do that, she feels she has no choice but to let them know they did wrong. If you reprimand them and do not show them attention until after her, she will be less likely to attack them since she sees you doing the reprimands for the "bad (in her opinion) behavior". The other thing is that she needs obedience training. This way you can control her behavior. Any other dogs need training as well. Start treating her in the manner I indicated by feeding, treating, petting her first before others even if they push through. If they get their first, ignore them until she has had the attention she wants. She will feel special and it will show the other dogs that you acknowledge her alpha status so she won't need to reinforce it herself with reprimands. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/NILIF.pdf When she acts the way you want her to act, reward her with tasty hot dog slivers. You can put a leash on her and when she act inappropriate, give a short tug and firm NO. After a few times, she should not attack and then you can reward her with the special treats. It sounds a bit strange, but these methods work extremely well for this type of situation. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have. If you are satisfied, I hope you will take this opportunity to rate my reply .
That sounds ok but I dpnt know if I I can do it. You are right she does want to be first. I do have now to wait for the Pom to finish eating, she also attacls him when I come in the yard but he gets away my new rescued one doesn't run she fights back but she's small
If you can't do the training with her, and with the others, the situation is going to get worse. The females especially. This is because females that breed are usually higher in the pack than non breeding females. So the little one feels she shouldn't have to be reprimanded. Also if she is smaller, she may feel more threatened and feel she has to fight back. They do need the training. Perhaps you could have a trainer work with them on teaching the command and you do the practice with them for the commands they have already learned. That might be better. Once she has some training, you should be able to call her directly to her and show her attention while ignoring the others or having them sit and wait until you are done with her. Unfortunately, it isn't going to go away on its own and will take work. Some people that are unable to train or work with their dogs, elect to keep them entirely separate. I don't think this is a very viable option but owners will do it especially if one of the dogs is an elderly dog and they feel their time left isn't much. Bat training might be a possibility. You can check that type of training here:http://functionalrewards.com/BAT-basics.pdfhttp://www.petexpertise.com/behavior-adjustment-training-dog.html You could start with one of the other dogs to teach a firm sit and work your way up to the more dominant dog. Having the terrier sit and stay while you greet the dominant dog will help the situation, just not be a final cure. You might also muzzle her with a basket style muzzle. The problem with that is she won't be able to protect herself and other dogs will take advantage of that and attack her.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist