Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

Hello, I am perplexed as to my dogs behaviour. Bouboule

Hello, I am perplexed as to...

I am perplexed as to my dog's behaviour. Bouboule is a 2 year old bichon-poodle mix we adopted about a year ago. We have had a lot of difficulty housebreaking her, and she is usually cooperative only occasionally getting into squrimishes with her shih-tzu brother over food.
Here is what prompted my inquiry. We have just returned from a weekend trip away from home. My dog was on her best behaviour the whole time but spent more than usual periods of time in her cage (as we were in a home that does not love dogs.) She did get play time and walks as usual though.

On our way home, she was well behaved in the car, not whimpering but rather sitting still most of the way. She did attempt to snuggle by my side and seemed to want to be close to me the whole time. She then decided to share a bed with her furry brother in the backseat and a fight broke out after they had both been peacefully sleeping snuggled up together. I had to pull over to break it up. I scolded her and told her to go into her house (her cage by herself), raising my voice and slamming the door behind her. She then showed her teeth and snapped at the cage door. She was calm the rest of the way.

Upon arriving at home, Bouboule seeks to stay in her cage (door open) but as soon as we approach the cage, she growls, snarling at us. When my husband attempted to close the door to containt her and to prevent further injury, she lost it!" We let her relax for a bit (an hour or so) A few moments ago, she was cowering in her cage (door open) in the master bedroom. I went to see why she was so sad and was crouched over and placed my hand out to guide her out of the cage, which she refuses to leave for the time being. Out of the blue she lunges out and bites me on the finger.

I don't understand this behaviour? She has never bitten anyone before? She does have a propensity to guard food when her furry brother is around, but I can't see any food in the vicinity. Is this something that is momentary due to stress because of unusualy routines etc...or could it be sign of something worse?

Help! I don,t want an aggressive dog and love bouboule. We have been frustrated of late with her behaviour as she is most difficult to train in all respects....At our wit's end :( We absolutely do not want her to harm us, her furry brother or other individuals and would like advice as to how to deal with her behaviours.

Brigitte and Stephen Laing
11/4/2013
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Hi there. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help you with Bouboule.

How long have you been home with her now?

I arrived home about 4 hours ago. I went out for about an hour to get groceries returning home to find her out of sorts.

Okay. Thanks for the extra information Brigitte. I really appreciate it.

From your description, it sounds like your girl may be acting out over stress or anxiety.

For the last few days she has been completely out of sorts. She's been in an odd place, confined to her crate for the most part, had to deal with a car ride home and has only been home for a short amount of time.

Your description of her unusual behavior of cuddling in the car and getting into a fight that wasn't over food tells me that she is absolutely out of sorts.

The absolute best thing you can do for tonight is to leave her alone. Ignore her for the most part. Forcing a stressed out dog to interact when she's up to it can actually make it worse and keep the behavior happening for longer.

For tonight...let her be in her crate. Come tomorrow morning, go back to your normal schedule. If she acts up, try not to engage her. Allow her to stay in her kennel if she wants. If she does come out and act normally, then just procede with your normal day.

I suspect this is going to be a temporary behavior due to being stressed out and will resolve by morning.

I hope this helps.
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician

Alrighty...out of concern for my fingers...I was aiming on letting her be. She obviously does not like me tonight. :S

I will see if it gets better tomorrow. Hopefully it is simply temporary.

Thank you for reassuring us. If the behaviour continues then we will have to figure something else out.

It's not that she doesn't like you...she's just acting out...like a crabby toddler....I'm sure she'll feel better in the morning.
Hi Brigitte,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician