Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I adopted a kitten yesterday and my dog is really upset. He

I adopted a kitten yesterday and my dog is really upset. He is whining, barking and pacing. I have the kitten in the master bath with his food, box, bed. Max just lays in front of the door and pants. I want to bring the kitten out into the house, but am fearful when Max is acting like this. My other dog Lola does not seem to be bothered.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

Have you tried to introduce them at all in any other manner beside putting the cat in the bathroom?

Customer:

Not yet - just brought him home yesterday afternoon.

Sally G. :

Would Max be aggressive normally to other animals he does not know?

Customer:

Not at all. He goes to daycare twice a week and gets along fine with other dogs. He likes to chase though.

Sally G. :

That is good, chasing I would expect from a hound:)

Sally G. :

What I would do is

Sally G. :

get a tall baby gate and put that across the room so that the kitten cannot get out but so that Max can get a whiff of the cat for a few days

Sally G. :

generally when there is a new smell in the home from a new animal the dog gets used to it after about a week and it is not so new to them anymore

Sally G. :

Will Max work in commands for you for food, human food?

Customer:

Sometimes. He would not listen to me last night or this morning. He's very amped up. Did not even want to go for his morning walk, he was too busy trying to get back home again. I have dog treats in the house t

Customer:

he won't stop whining and pacing

Sally G. :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX think Max will hurt the kitten intentionally as he is well socialized , I would think his excitement due to his size may be what hurts the kitten.Do you have a dog or cat crate?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

have both

Sally G. :

Okay then put the cat in the crate so Max can get a better look and some sniffs in and watch his reaction . I would introduce them in smaller increments of time throughout today so the cat starts to become no big deal. Right now the cat is a big deal to Max because the cat is hidden from him so Max is not sure what to expect

Customer:

I can do that - the kitten is so tiny that I was afraid that Max would hurt him.

Sally G. :

Generally when dogs are well socialized they do realize that the new animal is a baby. IF it were an adult cat and Max did not like other animals then it would be more worrisome

Sally G. :

So put the cat in the crate so they can safely greet each other then gradually put a gate between the bathroom or a room where there is more freedom for the cat and Max can watch that cat move about

Customer:

What if he pushes the gate over?

Sally G. :

The cat will run on instinct and go under or atop of something, but what I would do is be sure I am there watching , so put a leash on Max so you can stop him from moving forward if he knocks the gate over.

Customer:

OK - thanks!

Sally G. :

They do have gates that bolt right into the wall made for x large breed dogs so that may work for you.

Sally G. :

Make sure that when you treat for the good behavior it is a special treat that will only be given when the cat is around and Max acts appropriately. This way Max will start to associate this cat with something good happening to him

Sally G. :

I think if you bring them together often over the next few days the cat will be less exciting

Customer:

I have some special treats that he really likes. Thanks very much!

Sally G. :

You are very welcome. Once you have rated my answer I will be able to set up a free follow up with you. I would set that up to come to your email in a couple of weeks would that be okay with you?

Customer:

yes [email protected]

Hello Cindy,
I am just checking in to see how Max and the Kitten are getting along.

Sally