Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

My dog periodically since last night shakes his head and then

bubbles come out of his...
My dog periodically since last night shakes his head and then bubbles come out of his mouth....he seems to eat ok and goes outside ok...but he has never done this?
10/15/2013
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Dr. Altman :

Welcome to the chat! I am Dr. Altman and am happy to answer your questions today

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear this, it must be very scary to see

Dr. Altman :

Can you please tell me your dog's age and breed? Thank you

Customer:

He was born December 2nd, 2007...he is a small shit zui...(sp?)

Dr. Altman :

Can you please describe what occurs in a little more detail for me? Is he vigorously shaking his head like his ears are painful or more like a tremor? Is he responsive to you during these episodes? Does he lick his lips as well? How frequent since last night has this occurred?

Customer:

More like a tremor...I call his name after and he looks at me...they only last a few seconds and then it's done...tell you the truth I never really noticed if he does or not...the spit is on his hairs below his mouth...once this morning and not being awake last night , I'm not sure how or if any times it happened, but when I woke up his hair was wet...so he might have just had another occurance....sorry I don't know too much,

Dr. Altman :

That's ok. Hopefully we can form a plan to figure out how to help him. How is he acting between the episodes? Normal?

Customer:

basically yes...he hears anything as usual outside him and his sister run out and see what it is....yesterday he seemed like his left front leg was kind of weak, but then he gets up and runs to the house..

Dr. Altman :

I know it would be difficult since they are so random and short but if you are able to videotape it that would be ideal in order to allow your vet to see what he is doing. Also logging what he is doing, how long it lasts, whether he is responsive, etc. I would also strongly urge a veterinary exam. This can be metabolic (meaning a problem with his organs such as liver issues) or it can be ideopathic (meaning we don't really know why) but if they continue or become more frequent or severe he might need to be treated for an underlying cause. Because of his breed it is good to have basic bloodwork done today to ensure it is not something like a mild liver shunt that is causing the issue which might require a change in diet and medication to help remove the toxins that the liver is having difficulty metabolizing.

Dr. Altman :

Does this make sense? Please let me know how else I can assist or any additional questions I can clarify today

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I should have taken him to my vet and she could have told me....sorry !

Dr. Altman :

It is always good to go in knowing what questions to ask and what to expect

Dr. Altman :

Please do not apologize, that is what we are here for

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian