Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I have a 8 year old female lab and a 3 year male lab. The

I have a 8 year old female lab and a 3 year male lab. The younger dog has always been very submissive to the older and the older female often would take things from the male. Recently, he has stuck up for himself and they began to fight. No blood, maybe just wrestling and growling. It's happened now 3 times this week. What do I do? Let them establish who's in charge? Or do I stop it and punish them somehow?

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

What type of basic obedience do you do with the dogs and how often?

Customer:

They both have just basic training. sit, stay, come.... but if they got loose, I wouldn't be able to call them back.

Sally G. :

So you do not train daily in obedience?

Customer:

No

Sally G. :

thank you. Please give me a moment to type up your answer. One more thing , does the male seem to be more possessive over items lately?

Customer:

But labs love their balls but only go into that crazy haze when it's time to fetch. The male is very mellow and has not been possessive. The older female is a major food hound and a piece of popcorn is what start all this a week ago. She tried to take his piece of popcorn that I threw to him.

Customer:

I mean both labs love their balls....

Sally G. :

thank you for that extra information.

Sally G. :

It is not uncommon for dogs to go through changes between 12 and 36 months where they start to challenge other dogs. The fact that your Chloe is 8, she is slowing down and the young one is picking up on this even if you are not.

Multi dog run homes sometimes get along fine if the dogs are submissive or passive but when you have a personality that is stronger than others it is time to step in because you want peace in your home. I run a multiple dog home, 6 at one time is not unusual, if I did not train them daily there would be chaos because I would not seem a consistent lead in the home.

It will be easier to take control of two, than six so all is not lost. What you may have to do is put them on the NILIF training to establish yourself as well as daily training in obedience so that the dogs see you as consistent

Sally G. :

This will mean you will be controlling their toys, food, bones, etc. for a while. Have you ever heard of NILIF training? And can you train the dogs in shot sessions throughout the day

Customer:

It is not the younger dog causing the problem, its the older dog taking food and being aggressive with the younger one.

Customer:

No what is NILIF?

Sally G. :

yes I understand, but you are running a multiple dog home so neither should be allowed to do that

Sally G. :

nothing in life is free

Sally G. :

training

Sally G. :

This is what I would do so that you put them on the same playing field

Sally G. :

I can direct you to links that will take you step by step in basic obedience and the NILIF training which will take you step by step

Customer:

So work with them daily in obedience. Control what they're doing more? And yes, a link to the information would be helpful.

Sally G. :

Yes, the links will explain how and why the NILIF training works and the clicker training will take you step by step. You will need to get them under better voice command and one command that can stop a fight before it starts is the command Leave it which you will give if you see one dog going after what the other dog has.

Sally G. :

hold on while I get you those links

Sally G. :

Clicker training/positive method training

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Nothing in life is free

** http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/training.html

Sally G. :

This information should all be in your email, however to be sure once you have rated my answer I will send you an info request with a free follow up to see how things are going for you. Then for sure you will have it in your email

Customer:

So, you don't think that Buck is pushing back after accepting Chloe taking his stuff for 3 1/2 years. That he's growing up and defending himself? I thought maybe the dogs were establishing who's in charge.

Sally G. :

Dogs will establish themselves in a pack in the wild, they are not in the wild they are in your home so unless you want to break up some serious fights which will get worse over time especially given Chloe's age, I strongly suggest you take the lead for them to follow

Customer:

Okay, thank you

Sally G. :

you are most welcome

Sally G. :

is there anything else I can do for you tonight?

Hi Valerie,

How are things going between the dogs?

this is a free follow up that I like to give my customers so I will leave it up to you if you wish to answer.

Sally