Dog Training

Have Dog Training Questions? Ask a Dog Trainer.

Dog Training

how do i get my puppie to stop growling at other dogs and

people....
how do i get my puppie to stop growling at other dogs and people.
8/26/2013
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Hi JaCustomer,
.

My name is Jane. I have worked with animals professionally for over 17 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .

.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

.

How old is Angel?

It says here Angel is Male, is that correct?

Is he neutered?

Can you describe the circumstances surrounding a few instances where he has growled?

Has Angel had any obedience training?

he has not been neutered. We where out for a walk and two dogs came up to play and he groweled at them. I took him to the bank and the bank tellers wanted to pet him he hide behind me. I moved out of the way and he started to growel at the tellers when they came closer. I had him in my arms when we where on the elveator someone came up and patted him on his back and he groweled and tryied to bite them,

L,

.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful to me. Your dog should be neutered first off so he does not become more aggressive. It also helps prevent testicular cancer in the future.

.

It sounds like your dog has not yet been socialized properly. It also sounds like it might be fear based since he tried to hide behind his master, you, and you moved out of the way thus not affording him protection from the people. This made it impossible for him to avoid the confrontation and he reacted in the only way he knows to make people move away which is growling and nipping.

.

This can be fixed especially since it just started. I suggest obedience training in the form of a class setting. It not only teaches obedience, but gives the dog the chance to socialize with other dogs and people in a setting where there is no one on one meeting and everyone is paying attention to their own dog which is perfect for him. He needs to learn that dogs and people are not to be feared. Obedience training also gives him self confidence which will help ease fear as well. If dominance based which I feel is unlikely in this situation, then it will help with that as well since he will see you as the boss.

.

As the boss it is your job to protect him so you will need to not allow dogs and people to approach him. If people want to be introduced to him, then they need to crouch down in front of him and let him come to them. I wouldn't let them pet him yet, but you can carry treats and allow them to give him treats. This way he will associate them with good things and stop fearing them.

.

You should also see about finding a similar sized young female dog to act as a playmate for him. Class may help you find one as well. Introduce them at an enclosed area such as a tennis court and have them trail the leashes. This allows them to interact as they want but the humans can still grab the leashes to separate them.

.

I believe these things will help your boy overcome his issues and make him a more rounded dog in the future.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist