His parents are on vacation and now he won’t eat. When his parents left 2 days ago energy is low. Moose 12. He is

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: His parents are on vacation and now he won’t eat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the dog's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: when his parents left 2 days ago energy is low
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: no
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: moose 12
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he is diabetic
Answered by K.C. Gray, DVM in 27 mins 2 weeks ago
imglogo
K.C. Gray, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Customer
Hi
Disclaimer: We wanted to let you know that the information provided through this veterinary teleadvice or teletriage service is just a general guide and shouldn't take the place of a one-on-one visit with your vet. This service is simply here to offer some helpful insights, but it doesn't establish a veterinarian-patient relationship. If you have any concerns about your pet's health, always reach out to your trusted vet for the best advice. Thanks for choosing our service!Hello! Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a veterinarian with 17 years of experience. I’m happy to help you with Moose.
When is the last time Moose ate? When was his last dose of insulin?
Customer
Thanks Dr Gray!
Customer
Moose is only eating little bites of his food
Customer
I withheld his insulin this morning so last night he received it
Customer
He vomited 2 days ago. I saw some grass in it
Customer
It was yellow
None since then? And able to keep the little bit of food he is eating down?
Customer
None since then and has been pooping normal
Drinking water normally?
Customer
Hi
Customer
This has happened before when his parents go away. Seems to be upset
Customer
Tearing at corners of rugs
When was his last full meal?
Customer
2 days ago
Bless his heart— it does sound like he might be having some separation anxiety from his parents. Dealing with diabetes on top of that is super stressful for you and him.
Have you tried hand feeding him? Sometimes a little extra TLC will help him cope with this added stress?
Customer
i feel bad, I just don’t want him to have low sugar.
Customer
Oh no I haven’t I will try that now
Customer
It is working
Yay!! Sometimes when they are missing their loved ones feeling a little extra love from others goes a long way. May take longer to get a meal in him that way, but if it works it’s worth it.
Customer
thanks so much. They left medication with the name mirtazapine
Customer
I was nervous to give it on an empty stomach, should be okay if he is eating now right?
Mirtazpine is an appetite stimulant. It’s ok to give it on an empty stomach, but since he’s eating for you he may not need it.
Customer
Oh okay great! Thanks for your help
You’re welcome. Glad I could help. Please feel free to message me again if you have any further questions I can help you with. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
K.C. Gray, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
K.C. Gray, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.