My 8yr old intact female yorkie is discharging a substance from her vulva. She was frequently urinating yesterday and I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 8yr old intact female yorkie is discharging a gray substance from her vulva
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Yorkie's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: She was frequently urinating yesterday and I just noticed she discharged after she urinated this morning. So just this morning.
JA: Has the Yorkie been eating or drinking more than usual?
Customer: Just drinking slightly more but I thought that made sense with how often she was urinating.
JA: Does she also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Yes slight fatigue as well
JA: And what's the Yorkie's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** she's about 8-9
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not exactly sure on the age as she was a rescue. No that's it.
Answered by Dr. Lauren M in 8 mins 2 weeks ago
imglogo
Dr. Lauren M
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! Thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is*****
Customer
Hi Dr. I'm Alex.
Hey Alex! I’m sorry Chewie is having some discharge.
Customer
exactly. Thank you.
I’m worried she might have an infection in her uterus called a pyrometra.From what you are describing- not being spayed, uti symptoms yesterday, and then now the discharge…. And lethargy…
Customer
She was urinating a little more frequently than normal yesterday, and this morning after urinating, she exhibited a grayish/thickish discharge.
Pyometras can be very serious, and often require surgery to remove the uterus
Customer
Oh my god.
Are you able to bring her to the vet now?
Customer
You think it's that serious? I was thinking just a uti.
I’m sorry. I saw your question and took it right away because I was nervous about it.
Customer
we have an apt at 1pm.
is it a lot of discharge? And is it stinky?
Customer
No need to be sorry.
Okay great! I’m so happy you have an appointment today.
Customer
Its a small amount and no not very smelly
Customer
I sent a picture.
Customer
Customer attachment 5/22/2023 4:12:54 PM
Customer
Thats the discharge.
Oh thank you!! I see the pic now
Yeah, that looks like pus to me. Infection
Customer
Is that in line with what you think it is?
Customer
But not a UTI?
Yeah it is. I think she has a pyometra. Let me get you an article so you can read a little more about it.
Customer
Okay
UTI’s don’t usually have this thick of discharge.
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951481
Customer
Okay.
Customer
you suggest we bring her in?
It’s good that it is draining though. Messy for you guys… but better for her.There are “open” pyometras and “closed” ones.
Open means the cervix is open, so the infection is able to drain out. In closed Pyometras, the cervix is closed and all the infection gets stuck inside…
Customer
the fact that its draining is good?
Can make them really sick really fast. So it’s better that some of that stuff is draining out.Yes. 100% recommend taking her in. She will likely need surgery
Customer
Okay thank you. What is the likelihood of this clearing up and her living healthily after?
that’s a good thing. But it is still an issue that needs to be treated. Treatment of choice is surgery to spay her.So when you bring her to the vet, they will likely want to draw some blood work and maybe take an X-ray
Customer
Okay
Great odds if she’s healthy otherwise
Customer
Okay thank you
Just gotta get that uterus out!
Customer
Okay and is that a difficult procedure?
Good luck with everything. I hope it all goes well.You can try calling them and seeing if they will take her sooner if they know she’s a pyo case? Just give them a heads up and see what they want you to do
Customer
Ok. We're going in 20 min so we're not waiting long.
Spays are very routine. It makes it a little more tricky because the uterus is full of pus. But it’s basically the same exact procedure. You tie off all the same vessels. It makes them feel so much better.
Customer
Okay thank you.
2 week recovery of taking it easy and wearing a cone.
You’re welcome! Feel better little Chewie!
Customer
Okay
Customer
Thanks
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Lauren M
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
Dr. Lauren M
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.