I need a second opinion about something and need to speak to a vet in person. Dog. It’s a bit complicated. Basically his

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I need a second opinion about something and need to speak to a vet in person
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: it’s a bit complicated. Basically his vet says he will die if he comes off the medication he’s on and I don’t agree. The medication is causing some problems and I don’t think it’s necessary and I think his symptoms were only because he took a laxitive
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy 16
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There is more to the situation but I’d rather explain it when we speak. Will we be speaking over the phone?
Answered by Dr Adrien in 1 hour 3 weeks ago
imglogo
Dr Adrien
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Customer
Hello. I'd like to speak to a vet via the phone

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** (she/her) and I’m a licensed veterinarian with experience in treating a wide variety of animal species, including dogs

**PLEASE NOTE** I am ONLY available for text/chat - I am NOT available for phone consults. You may receive an automated offer from Just Answer for a phone consultation. If you choose this optional offer, you will be transferred to a different JustAnswer Veterinary Expert, this chat will close, and we will be disconnected.

I understand you have a question about your dogs medication, I am glad you reached out for help!

What medication is he taking that you are concerned about?

Customer
Hello thank you for being in touch! I just typed out the whole situation asking my neighbours. Are you able to receive photos as I'll send you a screenshot
Customer
Let me know if you can see these ! If not then I'll type it out again
Customer
Customer attachment 5/19/2023 8:16:02 PM

Thank you, ***** ***** of cancer was he diagnosed with?

Customer
It's a tumour in his rectum

I understand. Did they say what type of tumor it was or the name of the tumor?

Customer
No I don't think so
Customer
I can message my bf quickly
Customer
He's working so I don't think I'll receive a response
Customer
He responded and said he's checking so I'll let you know in a few mins what he says

Without knowing the specific type of tumor, it will be very difficult to comment on the recommended treatments.

Customer
Ok thanks let me see if he can find out quick
Customer
Ok he emailed me a copy of the results, I'll send it to you. Not sure where it says what tumour it is
Customer
AGASACA ? I think that's it
OK thank you

Did they take X-rays of his chest or abdomen? Unfortunately these cancers can be malignant (meaning they spread to other body parts like the lungs or liver)

The x-rays will help to show if there has been any spread

Customer
No I don't think they took x rays but what do you think about the situation in general. He was totally fine and normal (only issue was having hard time popping) , then he was given miralax - the human laxative - and the next day he was terribly lethargic
Customer
I think that is almost certainly due to the laxative. Not the tumour. The fact he was walking, barkior eating I think was from being severely dehydrated after the laxative which taxes his system and he was out of it. He's now totally normal
Customer
I think it's unlikely that if we stop the meds he will go back to being really lethargic. I think he'd only have the symptom he had before which was more problems popping due to the tumour
Customer
I highly doubt he has an infection, especially if he's been on antibiotics for almost a month. I don't know why they suspected an infection anyway, he didn't have fever
From what you shared with me it looks like he is quite sick. Has he been in the hospital?
Customer
the steroid I think does help relieve the inflamation and helps him poop better but I think stopping it would cause him to have more troubles popping again, not be lethargic, not walk or eat etc
Customer
He's been to emergency vet and his own vet at the beginning of all this 3 weeks ago
Customer
He's completely back to his old self.

He has anemia and signs of an infection. His liver and kidney values are very elevated

Customer
Ok thanks we weren't told that
Customer
Do you agree he will die if he comes off the antibiotics and steroids now ? I just don't see how it's possible. He's happy, energetic, playing, hungry, popping, barking etc

I recommend reviewing his lab work with the primary veterinarian to go over all of those values and make sure that you understand what each one means

Customer
ok

Unfortunately I cannot answer that question without being able to examine him in person. From what I see in his lab work, I am very concerned

Customer
Ok thanks

You’re welcome! I hope he is OK!

If you need assistance to locate an in person veterinarian near your area who can help with a second opinion in person, these links may be helpful:

https://emergencyvet247.com/

https://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/vet-locator/

https://vetlocator.com/index.php

Customer
Thank you ! I'll see about making an in person appointment w another vet. He seems totally fine and happy which is why I'm asking all this. So for the moment he's doing good. I know at some point he'll pass from this tumour
Customer
Thanks so much

You’re welcome

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope I have provided the information you were seeking. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know! It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction, or you can request me by starting your request with “For Dr. Adrien only” or use this link

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Dr. Adrien

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr Adrien
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
Dr Adrien
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.