My 9 week old Shorkie chewed and swallowed a Greenie “Teenie”. I didn’t realize that it was for ages, six months and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 9 week old Shorkie chewed and swallowed a Greenie “Teenie”. I didn’t realize that it was for ages, six months and above. He’s currently 5 pounds. He’s a bit lethargic.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. About how much did the Shorkie eat?
Customer: The entire greenie. It’s the Greenie brand “Teenie” size for 5-15lb dogs. My 9 week old is 5lbs but he’s not 6 months old. He only ate 1.
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since then?
Customer: This was at 5:30-5:45pm ish PST He has not thrown up but he is certainly lethargic
JA: And what's the Shorkie's name and age?
Customer: Louie 9 weeks old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by VetKristen in 3 hours 1 month ago
imglogo
VetKristen
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Customer
When will I be connected?
Customer
Hello!!!!
Customer
I can’t believe this

Hello, I’m Kristen and I will be your Veterinary Assistance today, and as always, it’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the condition or symptoms.

I do not have the facility to make phone calls. You will be offered a call automatically by the system and if accepted, you will be transferred to another agent and this chat will end. You can chose to decline and continue on the chat

I am sorry for the delay in someone getting back to you

I need to clarify the following to help me understand further.

1. Was it definitely just one?
  2. Was it the ones for dental health?

Customer
Hi
Customer
It was just 1

As Louie only ate the one treat it shouldnt cause him too much of an issue. These treats do not contain anything that would cause him serious harm but as he is so young, it may make him feel a little unwell. This is unlikely though if it was only the one he ate but would be something to monitor him for.

If he drinks plenty of water to keep him hydrated and if he does have a bit of a digestive upset, if you starve him for at least 12 hours to allow his tummy time to settle down.

It really shouldnt cause him too much of a problem though.

Customer
My partner said he’s concerned he may have digested something else

If he is acting a little lethargic it could be his tummy feels a bit upset

Customer
The other half of this which is a bit larger. I can’t imagine he could have swallowed that whole as he noticed it was gone shortly after he spotted him chewing it. But he picked him up with a blanket and it’s possible it fell when we transferred him to the car.
Customer
Since my initial message here, Louie played actively and pooped a normal stool. He’s had water and ate a bit. Peed.
Customer
I’m so scared that maybe this other bone wasn’t lost and he swallowed it. But again, it was quite large.

if he swallowed it whole and it was causing him an issue being stuck etc, he would not be playing and wanting to drink water.

The good thing about these though are they are edible so if he has swallowed it whole, it will be digested and broken down in the stomach unlike a foreign body that could get stuck and cause an obstruction

Customer
Kristen are you still here?

yes still here

did you get my last message?

Customer
Got it! Sorry was using the app

No problem. He sounds as though he is doing fine

Customer
I agree that if he swallowed that whole we would have known. And it was the larger half of that piece.
Customer
He's alert. Sleeping now.
Customer
I'll monitor

Thats good. Just keep an eye but I am sure he will be fine. If he had eaten lots of them then he likely would have been sick but the small amount he had, shouldnt bother him too much.

I am online for another 6 hours if you need anything else or are worried. Just send me a message using this existing chat thread.

I trust that everything has now been answered to your satisfaction. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get back to me on JustAnswer. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.
Kristen

Customer
Thank you!

You're welcome

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
VetKristen
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
VetKristen
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.