We have a 5 dachone puppy. We think she got dehydrated today. She is doing better but just wanted to check with a vet.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a 5 dachone puppy. We think she got dehydrated today. She is doing better but just wanted to check with a vet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you noticed whether the puppy has lost or gained any weight recently?
Customer: no she hasnt
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: fancy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, she was fine until outside for a while today
Answered by DogDoc4U in 5 mins 1 month ago
imglogo
DogDoc4U
18+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman with 20+ years of experience and happy to assist you both today. Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!As veterinary experts we are unable to prescribe medication to a pet not personally examined by law. In doing so risks my veterinary license. I am unable to assist with telephone calls if requested per my state guidelines and this will lock the question to my responses so please do not request

The best way to check for dehydration is:

- Gums are moist and slimy is normal, sticky and dry is dehydrated

- Tent skin between shoulder blades, twist and release it should "snap" back but if it takes a few seconds there is dehydration

You can add water to meals if needed, often necessary in small breed dogs that aren't big drinkers

Please let me know if you have additional questions

Customer
She wasn't moving much when we found her but she is slowly returning to normal. Just not very active

If the lethargy continues, there is vomiting, diarrhea, reduced appetite then it's time to have her seen

Customer
Ok, thank you so much

You're welcome, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today or in the future. Simply create a new question with**Dr. Altman only**

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your pet after our chat yesterday. I would love an update when you are able. Thank you for visiting Justanswer!

Customer
She is doing good, she wants to play and eat

Awesome thanks for the update!

Customer
Thank you for your help. We were
So worried about
Her

You're welcome!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DogDoc4U
logo
logo
logo
18+ years of experience
img
imglogo
DogDoc4U
18+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.