My moms dog ate half a bag of chocolate eggs. Like 4 oz. She weighs 14 pounds. 4 times. Lily and 6 years

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My moms dog ate half a bag of chocolate eggs. Like 4 oz. She weighs 14 pounds
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When was this? Has she thrown up since eating the eggs?
Customer: Yes 4 times
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lily and 6 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Answered by Dr Scott Nimmo in 4 mins 1 month ago
imglogo
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have more than thirty years of experience in the veterinary field. I’m happy to help with your question today. But please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions first. Thank you!

Before I can start, I need a little more information, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Was this dark chocolate or milk chocolate? { One is more toxic than the other you see }

Customer
Thank you
Customer
Milk chocolate

Got it thanks, ***** ***** by, I am typing up your answer right now.

My aim is to get an initial answer back to you within the next ten minutes.

Customer
Ok

Thank you for waiting. I have an initial answer for you below.

I am sorry to hear about Lily's recent chocolate incident. I know that you must be very concerned, but let me assure you that I don't think this will have any significant impact on your dog.

1. Firstly, I want to clarify that while milk chocolate can be toxic to dogs, it takes quite a substantial amount to cause any harm. Typically, with milk chocolate { or chocolate eggs }, mild signs of toxicity occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of the dog's body weight was eaten, and severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight was consumed.

2. If you estimate Lily's weight as being in the region of 14 pounds then you can see that your dog would have to swallow 9.8 ounces of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

3. Clearly, the amount of milk chocolate involved today { 4 ounces } is minimal by comparison, so you should have no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes.

4. That being said, it's possible that your dog may perhaps experience some mild vomiting or diarrhea as a result of consuming any unaccustomed rich human food. However, should this occur it is likely to be very minor and should normally just pass on its own.

5. But of course, if you do notice any more severe symptoms then it's always best to call your local ER vet right away.

6. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned

The symptoms of minor chocolate toxicity may include vomiting, diarrhea, frequent urination, and restlessness. And where larger amounts were eaten then cardiac dysfunction, tremors, and fits can occur. However, on the plus side, most dogs with chocolate poisoning recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur.

7. Here is a link to an accurate article on chocolate toxicity in dogs, which you may find helpful: https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/chocolate-toxicity-in-dogs.

Finally, know that I am here to support both you and Lily. So I will be available online for the next four to five hours today, so please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Have I answered your question to your satisfaction? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. I aim to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Thank you for using our site.

Customer
I appreciate this greatly thank you so much I’ll pass this information along

No problem, I am very glad to be advising you.

But please let me know how Lily gets on.

Kindest regards,

Customer
I will, thank you

You're welcome.

Regards,

Hello again,

I just thought I would take a moment and check back in to see how Lily is getting on after our recent dialogue.

Please be kind enough to give me a progress report.

Regards,

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer, I hope you are happy with our service. But please let me know if you still need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions related to your current issue - I am always pleased to help.

Kindest regards,

If you would like to contact me directly in the future you can add me as your ‘Favorite Expert’. You can do this via your “My Questions'' page after you have rated our current interaction.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.